The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stock agencies, image sales

Chris Giles

Guys, I couldn't think of where to ask this on the forum, but for those who license / sell their images online digitally where do you do it?

I've signed up to Alamy but not really done anything about it as I've heard stock sites and microstock is well, 'not worth the effort'.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That depends on how you value your effort. In my experience, Alamy is best for selling unique and slightly "off beat" photos, but in theory, anything can sell there, although slowly.

Microstock is a cynical business. Your photos sell for peanuts and you get a small fraction of that. The key to success is volume and/or longevity. I mostly go for the latter, and some of my photos have sold well for many years. Sometimes, it's better to have a photo generate at least a bit of income instead of gathering dust on the hard disk. It's hard work to build a portfolio though, and anything bellow 1,000 photos will mostly generate pennies.

Here's a forum with healthy discussions and good recommendations about the state of affairs:

http://www.microstockgroup.com/