The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it just me?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Ok, true confession time. This morning I ran across an old Kodak 5x7 paper box containing some prints I made back in 1974. Inspired by the thread that shows samples of images made with film cameras other than "M" types, I decided to try and scan a few using my cheapo Epson Perfection scanner. Which I haven't used in over 3 years.

Found the power supply cord, but not the cord to attach to the Mac. I started hunting and ended up under my workstation in the tangle of cords that have been in there since the Bronze Age.

In the process of searching for that one cord I uncovered no less than 7 AC power supply cords/transformers that were still plugged into my surge protectors but not attached to anything. None of them are labelled in any way with a product name and after unplugging and untangling them all, I have a pile of cords that attach to things that I may or may not still posses.

In one sense, I'm probably better off for the exercise since those items were all trickling a little power even though they weren't attached to anything. But now what the heck to do with them? I have an attic already littered with old and outdated computer stuff like Syquest drives, ZIP drives, CD burners, keyboards, monitors, and yes, software boxes that contain everything from 2-inch thick manuals to floppy disks!

Where does all this stuff belong? It's essentially worthless and yet I'm afraid to just throw it in the dump because A: there's some remote chance I made need it someday (doubtful); and B. Most of it seems toxic in some way. Recent reports of the ultimate destination for "green" recycling of this stuff end with horror stories of third-world countries poisoning their lands and children with our computer-related junk. Is there a safe way to dispose of this stuff?

And further, am I the only one with a dirty little secret under his computer station? Are you guys methodical and organized when you add new equipment? My M.O. is: rip open the box, plug the sucker in and get it running. Like a 10 year old at Christmas, I don't seem to pay much attention to anything except the instant gratification thing.

Tim

p.s. I never found the scanner cord I need.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey stop bringing up our dirty little secrets will ya.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Okay confession under my desk maybe not as bad but it certainly is pull and see what happens on the power cords. i have tried three times to organize this but as soon as you add one more thing the spider web grows in all directions. Okay guilty as charged. Now i have thrown out those old zip drives and stuff like that. On one hand i am a tiddy freak as some have seen on this forum moving stuff around marking Sold on the B&S and stuff like that, I give my lovely neurotic wife ( clean freak) credit for this one or the curse depending on how you look at it, I am still trainable in her eye's. LOL

But when it comes to those cords, I do have a stash in my bottom file cabinet that is just a lovely pile of cord nirvana that has absolutely no rhyme or reason to have them but it is just in case so on the other hand I need the balance and just be a slob too. It actually is the i will do what I want am 52 years old syndrome that we must have also.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

So Tim have some comfort we all have these dirty little secrets.

Dale Allyn

Tim,

I have a lot of the same stuff (including the software boxes with floppies), though my power cords are all attached to something. Like you, I have collected many a/c power adapters and they've accumulated in storage boxes with cell phones and 49MHz cordless phones and bases, etc. The power cords were saved with the idea that many can be useful as a generic supply when the voltage output matches some other device... in theory. I have yet to go to my power adapter "boneyard" to get one for use. Haven't needed to.

We have a "haz-mat" disposal day a couple of times a year here, which is setup in the parking lot of our local fairgrounds. I intend to take my electronic stuff there the next time our town offers it. They say that they will separate the items for recycle, reuse, and proper disposal. To me, this feels better than putting three cubic yards of this stuff in the county dump, or even a few bushels of it each week in to my trash.

I once tried to give some older Macs to schools and they were all declined. They weren't even interesting for electronics parts or practice in electronics classes.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL:

I started labeling mine about two years ago and do not keep any plugged in that aren't being used... Oh, and the extras that seem to multiply in the Nth dimension and have plug ends that don't fit anything? I toss em...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
:ROTFL:

I started labeling mine about two years ago and do not keep any plugged in that aren't being used... Oh, and the extras that seem to multiply in the Nth dimension and have plug ends that don't fit anything? I toss em...
I knew there was a logical approach. Now I'm inspired. Maybe during the Christmas week break I'll tear it all apart, pull it out of the room and then start over from scratch. Actually route the wires in an organized fashion. Label the cords. Use wire ties to bundle 'em. Yeah, right. That's gonna happen. :thumbup: