The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Simple Technical Problem Loading Getdpi/Web Pages

D&A

Hi All,

I'm virtually 100% sure this is not specifically related to Getdpi although I haven't encounted this small glitch yet on other websites. No doubt I would if I tried enough of them :)

My issue only occurs with one specific "XP" PC and no others that are configued similary. They are "XP" PC's too.

It was either in a previous thread of mine regarding posting images here on Getdpi, or in some other thread, someone else encountered the same issue...but I searched and can no longer find their comments.

What happens (regardless if I am logged into Getdpi or not), I have to reload each Getdpi webpage I go to, to see the latest postings. Every time I go to another webpage, whether I've been there before or not, I have to relaod after it's initial loading. In other words, it's not a case of just going "back or forwards", but even if I click on a particular page or even a thread, I then have to reload the page to see the most recent entries.

I'm not sure why this is happening but at least I know there was another here on Getdpi who also encountered the same issue.

Of course it probably has something to do with how this particular "XP" PC is configured. This occurs with two different web browsers on this PC. ..so maybe its simply a general web browser setting? Any thoughts for this "near" computer illiterate person (me!). Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Hosermage

I believe it's a caching issue. In older browser, there is a setting for when browser will check for updated content before serving the cached version. Some available settings could be like:
- always use cache
- each time hitting the page
- each time browser starts
- never cache

If your internet connection is fast enough, you could set it to "never cache", or use it just to verify the problem is fixed. A more optimal setting is probably each time visiting the page.

D&A

Hi David,

I think you got it! On this one computer, the option for "checking for newer versions of stored pages" was set to "Never"...whereas on all the other windows computers I use, they were set to "automatic"! I'll have to try it out for an hour or so, but I assume that was the issue. Thanks ever so much David...a real time saver in providing me with the solution!

Now, on another (different) "XP" PC, the issue I'm having only with IE browser (which I have to use for a certain number of things), it looses whats refered to as "focus". What this means is that when I first open (load) windows IE, it's an active window for approx 10 seconds and then becomes in-active, unless I click on it again, to wake it up. I can even start to type a web address after opening IE and after a few keystrokes, it looses focus and I have to click on the top of the IE wondow to wake it up again.

This one has had me stumped for the longest time. I even deleated IE completely from the computer and re-installed it many times, and nothing seemed to correct this issue.

Dave (D&A)

Hosermage

It only happens to IE? and not any other program?

It's something I've never seen before... I wonder if it's something the default homepage is doing, so to test it, try set the default homepage to google.com or even a blank page.

I would not access any bank/sensitive websites with that computer :)

D&A

Hi David

Thanks again for your response and suggestions...which by the way you completely resolved my 1st initial issue of having to refresh every webpage when revisiting.

With regards to IE loosing "focus", I tried changing the default homepage, but that didn't help...and it only happens with IE, no other browser. From the little I've learned, it's not a security issue of any kind, but simply some process on this particular computer that competes in some way with IE each time it's loaded. This causes IE to becomes an inactive window after a few seconds after it's intially loaded until clicked on again to make it "active" again. I'm out of ideas on this one. Thanks again for tryng to help!

Dave (D&A)