The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So God made a Photographer

robertwright

with apologies to Paul Harvey...

And on the one trillionth six hundred and forty two billionth, five hundred millionth day God looked down on his creation and it was so beautiful and had gone unrecorded for so long so he said, "I need a witness. So God made a Photographer.
God said, " I need someone willing to get up before dawn to capture a building at sunrise and then wait patiently till dusk to do the same, all the while not moving an inch in terrible cold or heat, so God made a Photographer.
God said, I need someone willing to attend wars he or she never started unarmed save for a dumb camera, witness hunger, famine, destruction, a baby born, a night sky, or a young soldier's last breath, then dry his eyes and say, maybe this image will make a difference, but knowing mostly it won't. I need someone who can climb a mountain, swim an ocean, run a marathon, ingratiate a host, charm a despot, endure a wedding all to produce a single image that stops people out of their hasty succession of days and makes them feel differently than they ever had before. So God made a Photographer.
God said, " I need someone strong enough to haul a heavy pack all day without complaint, build sets, paint backdrops, fix computers, deal with taxes, copyrights, contracts, have the steely nerve of a union negotiator and the calm of a minister, level tripods and print masterpieces in the dark but can stop and take all afternoon to listen to the stories of an elderly shut-in she met on a very ordinary assignment one afternoon for the local paper and have tea.
It had to somebody who'd shoot straight, look deep and listen hard. Somebody to take all the world in during the day and still have more room left for his family at night. Somebody who'd be bright, inquisitive, fearless and naive all at once, who would laugh and cry with his subjects and then reply with smiling eyes when his son says that he wants to spend his life doing what dad or mom does. If they only knew….So God made a Photographer….

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have already posted links to this on facebook and twitter.
Frankly I can't keep my eyes dry.
-bob

J

JohnW

"Photographer as witness...." A wonderful concept beautifully expressed. Thanks.

John

T

tinribs

I was once discussing my role as a wedding photographer with the officiating priest (RC) at a wedding that I was covering. His response has always stuck in my mind:- "In this sacrament your role is just as important as mine, the scribe is as necessary as the priest".
Peter

DavidL

Just had to log in to say how good this is and I have also put it on facebook. Lets hope it goes viral