The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Store Miami Opening

D&A

Hi Carlos,

Enjoyed looking at your blog regarding the news of the new Leica Store in Coral Cables. Been a long time since I've been down that way but it's nice to see Leica branching out. Your pics showed the great similarities to the layout of their store here in Washington D.C. I've put the "S" through it's paces quite a few times and it certainly performs to extremely high standards.

One correction to something you mentioned in your blog where you wrote--->>>"The S System is the only weather sealed camera in the medium format digital space"<<<

The Pentax 645D is also weathered sealed and has been showed by others to be able to withstand a fairly good downpour of rain. The difference though is all Leica S lenses are also weather proof, whereas only Pentax's's most recent lens releases are (the leagcy lenses of course aren't).

Now if I win the lottery I'll be all set :)

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Thanks for reading it Dave. I shall edit it to read "fully weather sealed".
Not to nitpick...but the Pentax 645D and currently released lenses are also fully weathered sealed....so maybe a more accurate description is to simply say that the Leica S and it's complete line of lenses are fully weather sealed. It's only to be fair to the Penatx 645D system (and certainly not because I am one of the users of that model). It certainly takes nothing away from Leica who's line of "S" lenses all perform superbly and are at the top level of performance in this catagory of cameras. One cannot say that about Pentax 645 lens offerings as a whole.

Dave (D&A)

etrigan63

Dave,
Even before I saw your reply this morning, I thought better of just putting that simplistic update and added a full explanation of 645D situation.

The paragraph now reads:
One of the highlights of the evening was hands-on time with the S System in a model shoot. The S System, for the uninitiated, is Leica’s medium format digital camera system. The S System, like all of Leica’s other camera lines, oozes quality and engineering excellence. The S System is the only fully weather sealed camera in the medium format digital space (the Pentax 645D body is weather sealed, but only the newer lenses are weather sealed) and like most MFD cameras, will set you back the price of a german car (that doesn’t start with the letter “V”).