The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hitler Goes back to film

E

euston

I don't find the clip funny. This thread disgraces this site.

Der Untergang is a film with a serious purpose. It doesn't deserve to have passages stolen from it for the purpose of trivial entertainment. It isn't amusing to put this joke in the mouth of a personality who was responsible for death and misery on such a gigantic scale. On the contrary, it is tasteless and offensive. It trivialises what should be remembered with horror and outrage.

If you're too young or forgetful of recent history to understand what I'm talking about, imagine the same joke put into the mouths of the 9/11 bombers. Does it still register as hilarious on your gagometer?

O

Oxide Blu

I don't find the clip funny. This thread disgraces this site.

Der Untergang is a film with a serious purpose. It doesn't deserve to have passages stolen from it for the purpose of trivial entertainment. It isn't amusing to put this joke in the mouth of a personality who was responsible for death and misery on such a gigantic scale. On the contrary, it is tasteless and offensive. It trivialises what should be remembered with horror and outrage.

If you're too young or forgetful of recent history to understand what I'm talking about, imagine the same joke put into the mouths of the 9/11 bombers. Does it still register as hilarious on your gagometer?

Yes, because I cannot find within myself that low point of unqualified selfishness that is necessary to embrace the political correctness the least significant person would impose on everyone in an attempt to mask their own short comings.

It is unfortunate some folks forfeit the breadth of their life by becoming self-appointed guardians of political correctness. They fail to understand that with very rare exception (e.g. word play), almost all humor is derogatory toward some segment of humanity. And yet, humans are the only creatures that laugh.

Yes, the D3x video is funny as hell. And anyone that does not think so needs to look within themselves at their own short comings as to why it is not. What you are looking for is how you are attempting to abridge the axiom:

“You can never promote one group of people without somewhere, somehow, demoting another group of people.”

E

euston

Originally Posted by euston
Yes, because I cannot find within myself that low point of unqualified selfishness that is necessary to embrace the political correctness the least significant person would impose on everyone in an attempt to mask their own short comings..
You have an unconvincing line in psycho-babble. It's as meaningless as your proposition that a distaste for the trivialisation of fascist tyranny or a terrorist atrocity is no more than political correctness.

The sad thing is that you seem to be in step with some of the other people on this forum. This isn't the kind of company I wish to keep. I dare say the feeling's mutual.

I have been trying to find out how to de-register from this site but nobody answers my messages. Does anyone know how to get out of here? I could just go back to lurking quietly but I would prefer to be removed from the database of subscribers.

M

Mitch Alland

I am with you Euston: this inane cult of fun and trivialisation leaves me speechless — I don't want to say what I really think. Political correctness, indeed. Born in Poland during WWII and having lived through it, I find this nonsense being praised to be incomprehensible even if the people doing so have a shortage of brains.

I've also tried, unsuccessfully, to get my name removed from membership of this board.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Lars

Blaming GetDPI seems a bit strange, as this clip is all over the internet and didn't originate here.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Originally Posted by euston

You have an unconvincing line in psycho-babble. It's as meaningless as your proposition that a distaste for the trivialisation of fascist tyranny or a terrorist atrocity is no more than political correctness.

The sad thing is that you seem to be in step with some of the other people on this forum. This isn't the kind of company I wish to keep. I dare say the feeling's mutual.

I have been trying to find out how to de-register from this site but nobody answers my messages. Does anyone know how to get out of here? I could just go back to lurking quietly but I would prefer to be removed from the database of subscribers.
Sorry to say but you have never asked. Just to clarify though this link is on just about every forum out there related too and not related to photography. Be it right or wrong some find the script of it funny, I don't think anyone actually condones anything Hitler has done in anyway shape or form though. I know i certainly do not but if you take the background out of it, the script does tell a funny message about buying gear. I agree a completely sore subject of Hitler and that period in history but also for someone younger that may have missed that part of history is it really fair to judge them on there morals on something they where not close too. People have different opinions on this and every site i seen this link i have seen actually worse comments or comments that may just piss some folks off in a big way.

Anyway you want out all you have to do is ask Jack and it will be done.

Mitch the admins contacted you several times and you simply have never responded to us. That simple but i do see you reading the forum often and if you want out send Jack a note. But in public again some folks had to be let go of this place because of broken rules, just like any other forum you break the rules than admins have to enforce those rules. It is Jack and my job as owners to enforce those rules and may not be the most popular to some. But people think there above these rules and that is not fair to the rest of the members. Not something we enjoy

Guy Mancuso

Honestly never received this request. Send Jack a PM and he will remove you if that is what you want to do. It's your call and I don't want to try and convince you otherwise but this is all over the internet and on every forum and there is no escaping folks opinions good or bad on it. I can close the thread but honestly folks are entitled to there opinions and as long as any rules are not broken than i will not close it.

E

euston

Honestly never received this request. Send Jack a PM and he will remove you if that is what you want to do. It's your call and I don't want to try and convince you otherwise but this is all over the internet and on every forum and there is no escaping folks opinions good or bad on it. I can close the thread but honestly folks are entitled to there opinions and as long as any rules are not broken than i will not close it.
Folk are entitled to their opinions as I am entitled to mine. I haven't asked you to close or remove this thread but it's interesting that doing so should have entered your mind as a possibility. In my opinion, the way that this film clip has been promoted and defended on this forum taints the reputation of your site. But I am nobody you need take account of and, if Jack does what I have asked him to do, I won't even be a subscriber to your site for much longer.

Guy Mancuso

As the co-owner of the site we always look at threads to see what they are about at least on this site we are here everyday participating. I can't say that about many sites and in no way does this taint the reputation of this forum. If that is the case than every forum on photography is tainted because it is on every forum out there and to randomly delete a thread because it maybe not good in our opinion personally, we can't make that call for our members and would not be fair to them. Try seating in our seat , not easy at all to run a forum. We are not judge and jury here and the rule for us whatever is in the best interest for our members will win the day. So yes i have to look at threads to see if they do not break the rules and if they do there dealt with.

Here is one rule and in this rule we specifically say what the Sunset Bar forum is about.

3) Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Your wish is my command --- both of your accounts have been deleted. For future reference, the easiest way to remove yourself from GetDPI is simply to leave and never post here again :)

A reminder: The Sunset bar is a forum where folks can have unmoderated discussions, however the discussions need to follow the broad rules we've outlined -- most important is members need to remain polite to each other even when they disagree.

Carry on,

Don Hutton

I'd like to request of the moderators/site owners that if they ever catch me taking myself that seriously, that instead of deleting my account, they shoot me - preferably with something small caliber in the gut so that death comes slowly and painfully.

charlesphoto

Okay, even funnier than the Hitler and D3X clip is...

the Hitler and refinancing his house clip or....

the Hitler as McCain being told he's lost the election clip or...

Hitler losing it over trying to install Vista or...

Well you get the idea. It's about being delusional, and who better to fill that role than Hitler going bonkers over the Russians at his door. Jeez, lighten up.

I've visited Dachau and the Holocasut memorial in Berlin. Moving places. But I can also find these clips funny and still honor the memory of those were killed.

And even in those places there's some humor to be found. At the Berlin memorial there's a list of dos and don'ts (so German - and I can say that because my wife is German) one of which we found absurd. That was "no barbequing" which we thought, who would do that?, until we realized that the new America Embassy was going in across the street!

My wife got yelled at by one of the guards there for getting up on a pillar to take a photo. That really pissed her off because it's that strict adherence to rules that got them in that mess in the first place (and the guard wasn't pleasant about it). Something to think about....

nostatic

Actually the "Hitler gets a BMW GS" is a hoot. This clip has been used to beat up on any number of cultural icons and hobbies.

While I am sensitive to the now "guest" poster's opinion (I moderate another off-topic board), he is in some ways symptomatic of some of what is wrong in modern society. I do not think that parody such as these films are disrespectful to the memory of those who were killed. It is about humor, and humor usually has some grounding in tragedy.

What disturbs me is in fact the attempt to scuttle "art" (broadly construed) under the guise of sensitivity and political correctness. Of course there are lines that society must draw, and they change from generation to generation. And I'm not saying that we should have a free-for-all. For instance I took offense to a video which showed video footage from an A-10 attack plane while it gunned down motorcyclists in Afghanistan. It wasn't the visuals that upset me, but rather then rock soundtrack and lyrics that trivialized the death being viewed on screen. The backstory is that the victims were Taliban and likely were very bad guys. And there is a war going on and death happens. But the background music in the video trivialized the violence being depicted and in fact glorified it.

These Hitler videos do nothing to trivialize or glorify the Third Reich. The content has *nothing* to do with the war, the Holocaust, or anything remotely related. The footage of a hysterical Hitler (an enduring icon of a "bad guy") talking about the shortcomings of a D3x or BMW R1200GS or any other consumer product doesn't celebrate Hitlers legacy or denigrate his victims. It does make one laugh, and if anything, laughter not only helps to heal, but it also tends to give the bad guys less power over us. Life is about perception (photographers of all people should know that), and perception is changed by sound and image.

jonoslack

I'd like to request of the moderators/site owners that if they ever catch me taking myself that seriously, that instead of deleting my account, they shoot me - preferably with something small caliber in the gut so that death comes slowly and painfully.
I'll do it . . . as long as you promise to return the compliment :)

Well done Guy and Jack for dealing with this so calmly. I thought that the video was genuinely funny, and I struggle to see who could possibly have a right to be offended.

jonoslack

These Hitler videos do nothing to trivialize or glorify the Third Reich. The content has *nothing* to do with the war, the Holocaust, or anything remotely related. The footage of a hysterical Hitler (an enduring icon of a "bad guy") talking about the shortcomings of a D3x or BMW R1200GS or any other consumer product doesn't celebrate Hitlers legacy or denigrate his victims. It does make one laugh, and if anything, laughter not only helps to heal, but it also tends to give the bad guys less power over us. Life is about perception (photographers of all people should know that), and perception is changed by sound and image.
You put it so much better than I could - laughter heals, and getting too precious is only one step away from real censorship - please no!

Robert Campbell

Suppose instead of Hitler, we had a spoof of say the last days of Napoleon; would perceptions be different. If so, then why?

O

Oxide Blu

It would be great of some of you guys would post links to those Hitler spoofs, like Hitler getting a home loan or whatever.
Thanks!