The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's wrong with this picture.....

Terry

......I still to this day do not understand the telecom industry in the United States...oh by the way I'm not posting a picture.

With my move to the west coast I went to sign up for TV and Internet service for my new apartment. The cost of just cable and internet as a bundle of two products is more than the bundle of three products which includes a phone with unlimited local and long distance in the United States. So my new phone service has a cost of negative approx $20/month.

So, what did I do next, consolidate the service in my NY apartment (which I still have). So I got rid of the phone bill and reduced the cable + internet by adding phone to the service there as well.

Hmmmm......:ROTFL::ROTFL::wtf: anyway I'm not complaining just a bit befuddled.

Terry

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Oh, Terry, that's just sad. I mean if you'd only added a fourth product they would have made your car payment for you!

... but don't worry about the telecoms, they'll get $34 billion or so from your uncle to smooth out that balance sheet.

:D

BTW: a friend gives himself a raise every now and then by reconfiguring his phone/cable/internet agreements. What a pain to keep track of this shell game.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry, read the contract and make sure that's not a 6-month teaser rate. Those are very popular in the Bay Area, and then you get sticker shock in 6 months when the "real" rate kicks in.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
In the Bay Area (generally):

If you're using Comcast or one of the cable companies, it's month by month contract (you prepay so you can cancel at any time.)

If it's AT&T, Verizon, or one of the other telecom's, it's usually a 1 yr agreement.

Dish, DirectTV or the Satellite providers, again a 1 or 2 yr agreement.

Myself, my roommate and I switch who has the cable in their name when the "teaser rate" runs out. Why? Because the $75 a month bill becomes a $150 a month bill
And saving $900 a year seems worth the effort to switch who's name is on the bill.

Since the market is all about reoccurring revenue; I want to see a company say, "It's $150 a month for the first year, then $140 a month for the year after that, and we take $10 off the month rate every year for 10 years; until you hit our platinum loyalty level where you pay $50 a month for all your services, for the rest of your life."

Frankly, I'd sign up today.

Terry

Terry, read the contract and make sure that's not a 6-month teaser rate. Those are very popular in the Bay Area, and then you get sticker shock in 6 months when the "real" rate kicks in.
Yeah, that was the first thing I asked. The rates are good for the full first year. So, look out for this thread popping up next December when I rant about my year 2 pricing being horrendous.

O

Oxide Blu

We did something almost 2 years ago that is so un-American I am almost ashamed to admit it; we canceled the satellite TV, threw away the cell phones, and put the answering machine in storage. Life got better, and less expensive. Anyone that needs to reach me can call me on my home phone. If I'm not home, try again later. :thumbs: