The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where do you hail from/ Fun Thread

woodyspedden

I may be the oldest member here at 71 and am certainly one of the most traveled having made 16 moves in my 38 year career as Phyllis husband.

Born in Chambersburg PA and lived there through high school. Class of 1955 then went on to the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill (only place it was located in those halycon days LOL). Majored in Physics and went on to work at the Johns Hopkins U, Applied Physics lab in Silver Spring Md. Our job was to produce what was then called Project Transit for the Navy and later commonly known as GPS! Wonderful technical career. Had a chance to meet and eat with the original seven astronauts and learned so much about life from these bleeding edge folks.

After APL/JHU worked for Hewlett Packard, and then for Teradyne, a maker of automatic test equipment for the next 17 years.

Became CEO of Credence Systems Inc, another manufacturer of automatic test equipment following the death of the founder, and took the company public in 1993.

I now am on the board of directors of several companies and love this type of consulting work. A chance to teach the top management of these companies how to work in 21st century environments without having the day to day responsibility for results.

Started in photography while at UNC and have never lost the love.

I shoot with three systems...........M8 for portability and light weight needs:

Nikon D3 and D700 for most general purpose work including macro and telephoto:

Hasselblad H3DII-39 for super resolution,large files which I can print really large without need for uprezzing and interpolation.

Sorry for the rather large resume'. But when you are as old as I, and have so much more time to cover for your life, then that's the way it is.

Peace and love to all and a very happy holiday season to you.

May your images have less contrast than your lives in this age

Woody

V

Vivek

I believe that it isn't a wise idea to post one's data/resume online.

This is a ridiculous thread, IMHO.

viablex1

well, I currently live in Chattanooga, TN and work as a Pharmacist. I graduated from WVU along time ago. I have a wonderful wife and no kids. I shoot anything abandoned. Speaking of trenton their psych hospital is boss!! I have almost died from doing it but I love it. Yes it is dangerous and I don't recommend anybody else try it.

I love my Mamiya 7II and I need to PM jack to get started in large format photography.

viablex1

Ben Rubinstein

I believe that it isn't a wise idea to post one's data/resume online.

This is a ridiculous thread, IMHO.
This is meant to be a fun thread. I personally did not post anything that I have any problem with clients, friends, the tax man, local thieves or daddy :)D) reading. I assume that the mature intellegent people here have had the same considerations, to call the thread rediculous would be rather an insult to them and not really in keeping with the respect shown on this incredibly peaceful site.

V

Vivek

This is meant to be a fun thread. I personally did not post anything that I have any problem with clients, friends, the tax man, local thieves or daddy :)D) reading. I assume that the mature intellegent people here have had the same considerations, to call the thread rediculous would be rather an insult to them and not really in keeping with the respect shown on this incredibly peaceful site.

I typed ridiculous and not rediculous. ;)

On a serious note, if your characterization is the felling of the majority of the community here, it is my open request to Jack and Guy to delete my account here, at once.

Thanks! :)

A

asabet

Vivek, are you being serious? If so, why such strong feelings about this thread?

viablex1

well if you look at the response right below his, it is kind of negative and this site has a very positive vibe to it...

Dale Allyn

I typed ridiculous and not rediculous. ;)

On a serious note, if your characterization is the felling of the majority of the community here, it is my open request to Jack and Guy to delete my account here, at once.

Thanks! :)
Umm... I guess I'm confused, not that anyone cares. :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, this is a thread for those who would like to share their general location as a way of getting to know each other. Folks might find common threads of interest or background that kindle shooting opportunities, or friendships, etc. If one wants to add a bit of info about their "day job" (which might be other than photography) and such then that's cool too. If not, no problem. Don't want to participate? That's cool as well.

I don't see a connection between this thread and one's general participation in the forums here, but maybe I'm easily confused. I certainly don't read into it that anyone wants to insult others or criticize any who choose not to post in the thread.

-Dale :)

fotografz

Someone hasn't been taking his meds again :ROTFL:

Now back to our regularly scheduled program ... ;)

Born in Detroit. Dad was a Firefighter. Still live here. Growing up, literally everyone in my multicultural neighborhood was a genius, so I had to try harder 'cause I wasn't. But I could draw better than anyone else. So, I went on to study design and fine art painting.

That Art background was my "in" to Advertising. Started in the mat room and worked my way up to being an Executive Creative Director of a $350+ million office of Young & Rubicam during the 80s and 90s. Had to travel a lot all over the world, so I took a Leica M with me as my portable creativity.

My candid B&W street work caught the eye of art directors, designers and writers who asked me to shoot their weddings the same way. It snowballed from there, and I still do weddings and shoot them all over the country as well as the Detroit area

Professional Photography is now my second full time career.

V

Vivek

Hi there Marc, First someone embellishes a two line post as something that wasn't.

Now, you are into personal attack. "Again?"

Adios!

helenhill

Oh Dear ...Mom & Dad (Jack & Guy)
will be here soon
and another Thread to be shut Down.....:eek::eek:
The Children are having another pillow Fight

Marc...Loved the meds scenario / I should be eternally medicated :ROTFL:

Amin, Ben & Dale .... thought you handled yourselves like Gentlemen

Vivek...Lighten up :) Be Happy
if its not your Cup of Tea, move on to another thread...thats what I do
My mama always told me "if you don't have something nice to say , then don't say anything at all" :angel:

Best to All- H :D

Last edited:

fotografz

See how a thread can be hijacked by one single sour attitude?

Love to hear more about the people here. It's interesting to see how one's life meshes with one's photography.

Love this interest in people Guy. It's what makes this forum special. You and I suffered some very arrogant and nasty people on other forums if you'll recall ... especially in our DMR days.

I think I'll start one on mentors ...