The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where do you hail from/ Fun Thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
See how a thread can be hijacked by one single sour attitude?

Love to hear more about the people here. It's interesting to see how one's life meshes with one's photography.

Love this interest in people Guy. It's what makes this forum special. You and I suffered some very arrogant and nasty people on other forums if you'll recall ... especially in our DMR days.

I think I'll start one on mentors ...
Please do. Honestly i thought this would be a fun thread to get to know new folks that have come on board lately. I love learning of different places in the world even if it is the next town over the hill and obviously i am a people person and just want us all to be friends in this virtual world. BTW that is the premise behind this site and my partner Jack and i meet on these very forums and have become the very best of friends. Can't beat that with a stick if we make real life friendships out of our time here. I also have meet many members here and i do cherish them very much as part of my life.

Guy Mancuso

Please do. Honestly i thought this would be a fun thread to get to know new folks that have come on board lately. I love learning of different places in the world even if it is the next town over the hill and obviously i am a people person and just want us all to be friends in this virtual world. BTW that is the premise behind this site and my partner Jack and i meet on these very forums and have become the very best of friends. Can't beat that with a stick if we make real life friendships out of our time here. I also have meet many members here and i do cherish them very much as part of my life.
I know the holidays are very stressful for all of us and this undo pressure does get to us sometimes. Let's just respect ones feelings and move on. Thanks Guy:thumbs:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
To answer the original question, I am in the great New England state of Maine. I moved to this rural community from CT ten years ago and have found a wonderful adventure and some terrific friends here. It's a climate and environment very well suited to my own temperament.

However, if in this age there are also virtual "places" from which to hail, then I would have to also say that I am "here", at getDPI. The fact is, I check in here at least once a day. It's become a part of my daily life and I've really enjoyed getting to "know" everyone here. I've learned a ton. It's a very good feeling to realize that if a question were to arise about photography, there's a group of knowledgeable and friendly people ready and willing to provide an answer.

The sense I have always had about this virtual place is that what counts is enthusiasm for photography in all its forms and a non-judgmental sharing of our successes and failures. Pretty cool.

Thanks again to our hosts Jack and Guy and the very best to all of you in the New Year.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I also like seeing area photos where people live, example; Jonos photography from his walks around his house and Jaap's counry side shots. What a beautiful areas of the world!

Oh, I'm a bourbon guy...Woodford Reserve will do... straight up with ice.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of my GetDPI friends.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I have to agree i love Jono's and Japp's shots around the property. I see nothing but desert here. Nice to see REAL trees and grass. The snow you can keep. LOL

viablex1

Someone hasn't been taking his meds again :ROTFL:

Now back to our regularly scheduled program ... ;)

Born in Detroit. Dad was a Firefighter. Still live here. Growing up, literally everyone in my multicultural neighborhood was a genius, so I had to try harder 'cause I wasn't. But I could draw better than anyone else. So, I went on to study design and fine art painting.

That Art background was my "in" to Advertising. Started in the mat room and worked my way up to being an Executive Creative Director of a $350+ million office of Young & Rubicam during the 80s and 90s. Had to travel a lot all over the world, so I took a Leica M with me as my portable creativity.

My candid B&W street work caught the eye of art directors, designers and writers who asked me to shoot their weddings the same way. It snowballed from there, and I still do weddings and shoot them all over the country as well as the Detroit area

Professional Photography is now my second full time career.
wow detroit, I just got back from there photographing abandoned places, we went for days it was beautiful there..

and I saw your comment on mentors, I wish I would have had one in this stuff, but reality is the way it is, there is nothing really like mentorship though..

thanks

viablex1

Guy Mancuso

Why don't you try one of these bone-dry Hendricks martinis I am pouring for Helen.
Jack already posted a review complete with tasting and garnish comments.
-bob
Moab your on. Heck Sedona, Flagstaff, Chinle and Monument valley also. What the heck :ROTFL::ROTFL:

cam

Why don't you try one of these bone-dry Hendricks martinis I am pouring for Helen.
Jack already posted a review complete with tasting and garnish comments.
-bob
Hendricks? Hendricks??? with pepper and cucumber??? omg! i think i love you!

Last edited:

nostatic

Gosh, I feel so parochial compared with many of you here! I was born at the south end of California and gradually moved north until I found myself in the San Fran Bay area, and seem to have gotten stuck here. Decent place to get stuck...

I do travel a great deal, though, so I've seen other parts of the world, though only briefly.

Lisa
Similar story but I boomeranged. Born in San Diego (3rd generation), grad school in Pasadena, postdoc in San Francisco, then back down to Claremont, CA for a faculty position, then back to Pasadena and now west LA after a career change.

My day job: http://ict.usc.edu/

My night job: http://nostatic.com/

My ongoing saga: http://nostatic.com/blog/

My new book: http://www.lulu.com/content/5393691 (shameless self-promotion)

O

Oxide Blu

If only...there is no Guinness :mad:
A prefecture in Japan is similar to a state in the US. In the prefecture I live in there is only 2 places that sell Guinness on tap. One is in the city I live in. $8 for a pint of Guinness. :eek:

I have never seen anyone into high-quality single malt scotch like the Japanese. There are a couple of bars in my town that have obscure, old, single malts that taste like they were gifts hand-delivered personally by the gods. :thumbup:

I never really appreciated sake until I was offered "secret" sake. Like everywhere in the world, bootlegging is alive and well in Japan, too. I'm told 'natural' sake is illegal, but it is oh so gooooood!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: And it has a higher alcohol content (20-30%+), unlike store-bought sake that is rice wine.