The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

KEH is going down hill

mmbma

I can't help but to notice the deterioration of quality from KEH. they use to be my go-to place for any used gear, always providing great prices and very strict quality control. That latter criterion seems to be slipping recently.

the last three items I bought from KEH i ended up returning based on quality issues. One is a A12 hasselblad magazine listed as EXC+ and came with leather peeling off. Another is a Pentax K10d alst listed as EXC+. Cosmetically the camera was great but the shutter doesn't work and the in camera anti shake is broken. They accepted the returns with no problem, but still the lack of quality check is worrisome. Are mine isolated incidents or have others experienced similar issues? I sincerely hope they fix it soon as I am a strong supporter of the site.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have not encountered any problems with KEH. I just purchased a Nikon 200/2 VR lens and it's in better condition than I expected.

anthonysemone

My experiences recently with KEH have been just like "Ocean's" e.g., EX G2 looked like it had never been used :) One item I got I thought was defective - looked like a light leak - sent it back and had a replacement in 5 days for less money, no light leak and better cosmetic condition and had $40 bucks refunded to my card WUWT??

I'm confident that if it ain't right, they'll make it that way.

vickko

I don't like their minimum $60 shipping fee to Canada. So now, it is only window shopping for me, for keh.

NotXorc

I have not purchased from KEH, so I cannot speak to the accuracy of product descriptions. I was in ATL recently, and I was really bummed that they do not have a retail showroom to see before buying. A real human answered the phone and politely told me so. That's as close as I can manage to disappointment with KEH. I have to hope that the OP's experiences were an aberration.

darr

I had been a KEH customer since you could walk into their storefront on 14th Street back in the early 80s. I always appreciated their customer service until now ...

I placed an order on Saturday for a $950.00 lens, not an uncommon lens, and one I could buy from a forum member if listed for sale, but I am so use to buying used from KEH, I placed the order. I went through all the usual steps on their site, paid for 2 Day FedEx, and the usually required insurance.

Monday comes and I wait around til 5:45pm, but I gotta go give a 6:30pm presentation. I leave a note on my door advising FedEx of the tracking number, to please leave the package and give my signature like I have done numerous times.

I arrive home about 10pm and there on my door is my note to FedEx and a sticker from them informing me: "A signature has been requested from someone at this address (DSR)." :wtf: No I did not, I would not because with my work, I am in and out at all different hours and cannot be held hostage to a delivery unless I get paid to take a day off and wait.

Now I am a little disappointed because I paid for 2 Day delivery and I have the next two days off to try out the lens, but I cannot hang around my house waiting on delivery.

I call KEH and explain that no where during the ordering process did I request: "A signature has been requested from someone at this address (DSR)." KEH guy said it was how they do business. I told him that I did not agree to that and now my 2 Day delivery service was a waste of my money and I have deliveries all the time without signatures; "I pay for insurance and do not worry about it." (I do live in a safe neighborhood). Then KEH guy says: "We are self-insured." Oh, I get it, the: "A signature has been requested from someone at this address (DSR)" is for them, not me! What an inconvenience at the buyer's expense! I live alone and they will not even let FedEx delivery to a neighbor! Now if I want the lens, I have to wait around here all day for FedEx? No! I told KEH guy that I refuse delivery and will buy elsewhere. He said: "you are responsible for it until it gets back to us." :wtf: I paid for insurance -- not FedEx insurance!! What a racket!!

KEH has just lost my business!
:cussing:

anthonysemone

could you have requested that FedEx reassign delivery to a Service Center? I have done that on deliveries not only from KEH but from other folks as well? Could you have told KEH upfront that you were not likely to be in place where you could sign for the package? Just askin....

darr

could you have requested that FedEx reassign delivery to a Service Center? I have done that on deliveries not only from KEH but from other folks as well? Could you have told KEH upfront that you were not likely to be in place where you could sign for the package? Just askin....
Well, they never said anyone had to be home in the first place and never have I had to be home before with a delivery from anyone. When a company 'self-insures' it is usually for their benefit, not the customers. I am in and out with my work and driving to a service center to pick up a parcel is a hassle when I can just as easily buy from another vendor, have it insured 'properly' and have it left at my door. Just saying, KEH is going down hill in a greedy kind of way in IMO through this last experience with them. No more KEH for me. :deadhorse: