The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Unauthorized Use of Image by Gallery

It has come to my attention that two years ago one of my Venice Carnival images was used to promote a Masquerade Ball event and the showcasing of masks. The image was used as sort of an online poster/postcard with the name of the event, gallery, dates, etc. My image was cropped to remove the watermark. This event was on the east coast.

I am certainly disappointed that another artist would do something like this. I have not contacted anyone as of yet. Any similar experiences? Thanks.

Shashin

That is the sad thing about the copyright(click) laws, they probably figured you would never find out and would be flattered they stole your work if you did. I have been lucky. Personally, I avoid lawyers whenever possible. What are you looking for? Payment? If you know a good copyright attorney, you could start there. Find out the the ins and outs and then decide how to proceed. At least have the lawyer write them a letter.

Good advice Shashin. In the past I've had people post a photo of mine as their own. This is the first time someone has used a photo so blatantly.

jlm

Workshop Member
i had someone (another stair builder) use one of my shots of a stair I had built on their website promoting their own work. double dirty

pophoto

Joe, it's not our natural instincts to use a lawyer, and often we're worried about costs, and surely costs are involved. However, in my personal life (not photography) I had to hire a lawyer on two occasions which I have found their services to be nothing short of beneficial in the long run. Everyone's mileage will differ, but if one doesn't work out, simply find another who can help. Usually go to someone with experience or is highly recommended, it makes a huge difference.

Tim

Joe, Sorry to hear this happened to you. An apology would go a long way with me if this happened to me. Interesting question is, where did they get it from, could they have contacted you for permission?

There is this site - TinEye Reverse Image Search which is supposed to find online matches of any image you submit.

I'd be curious to see the pic in question.
Maybe put more watermarks all over it before posting it here for us to see though.