The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7200rpm usb powered 2TB HD?

Rawfa

I´m not sure if this is the right place to post this, so MODs feel free to move it.

I was looking into buying a western digital 2tb HD but then I´ve read they´re 5400rpm. Is there a 7200rpm usb powered 2TB HD out there that you guys may suggest?

Rawfa

I don´t mind using small laptop HDs as long as they´re not 5400rpm. I have a USB 3 port available and I would really prefer if the Hd could be powered by the laptop instead of adding more cables.

What will you be using it for? For, say storing image files on the go, most writing and reading would be sequential anyway, and for this the difference in rpm would be less important. For the system files, the LR database, or PS scratch file, it would be critical.

Can´t recall seeing any USB powered 7200 drives; they usually require extra power units. Don´t think the juice from the USB is enough.

With my Mac Mini, I have all images and all videos on external USB3 drives, 5400 USB powered ones. Never any problems with speed (system, apps, and LR database and previews are on an internal SSD).