The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Current kit

Tim

Many of us have bought and sold lots of cameras. Not sure why we do this, but perhaps the grass is greener syndrome?

Currently I have settled on an OM-D, DP2M and a GRD IV (GR soon). These three cover most of what I need. The OM-D is my tool camera, its what I grab when I know there is photo opportunities in front of me and may need to swap out a lens or two, perhaps low light needs or some flash work. Its IQ is more than enough for me for most jobs (non-pro here).

The DP2M is my High IQ machine. Like a film 4x5 but more portable. I work within its bounds. If I need to go outside those bounds the OM-D comes into play or surprisingly the GRD may sometimes.

The GRD is my tote when I am not sure I am taking photos because of its pocketablity. Sure the others occasionally come along but often I say, what the heck and just stick to the GRD. The GRD is there even if either of the other two are as well. Its small sensor make macro easy too.

What's your current kit and reasoning at the moment?

fotografz

Having more fully retired from commercial work like product and advertising ... including weddings ... I've sold my Hasselblad H4D/60, and am in process of selling lenses.

As such, I've now concentrated on the Leica S2 as my main tool of choice for most color photography: art, travel and portraits. For street work I've centered on the Leica M Monochrome.

I still have a Sony A900 and A99 and a bunch of lenses ... all of which I no longer use very much, and will thin that down over the following months.

-Marc

V

Vivek

Leica MM, few lenses and a few filters.

Reason the best camera ever.

Sony NEX-6, Speed Booster and whole bunch of lenses for color captures. Compact and versatile.

Might buy a color/live view M and use many of my Olympus pen F lenses on it (most do well on full frame!!).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I shoot m4/3 most of the time, currently 2 x GH1 and 1 x GH2 with a few good lenses. Extremely versatile cameras and all three with one lens on each go into a relatively small belt/shoulder bag. These are also mostly my travel cameras.

For sports and action (particularly motor sports), I use Nikon D2Xs and D300 plus a D700 which also sees some low light and portrait work.

For personal use, I've gone back to film to a large extent, either Nikon (F6 and F80) or Olympus (OM-2 and OM-3).

When I'm really in slow gear or when I want special results, I have the Fuji GX680 III. If I get very, very rich (or, alternatively, lose my mind completely), I'll buy a Sinar eXact back for the Fuji, but there's little real chance that it will happen within this millennium.

Tim

Thanks all, these are interesting replies. I don't quite feel alone anymore in using just a small selection of tools.
In reality my needs are not taxing, i think I could possibly adapt to many current model cameras. We have it pretty good these days with the performance of current gear.
I do think that expanding Dynamic Range ability is one of the remaining frontiers of imaging tech. Its one limiting factor in some of my files.

@Marc - The S2 would be a choice that I could stay with for a long while.
@Jorgen - I still have my OM4. Although its not been used for years. I bought it new and just cannot part with it - its not worth a lot anyway, I may just trot it out for a bit sometime. It was my mainstay for a long while. The OM3 :toocool: is a bit of rarity!

Ben Rubinstein

Canon 5D3 with 16-35L, 50L and 85mm. I have the body and 50L in my bag on me at all times at the moment. Yes there are lighter and cheaper and whatever but it does everything I could possibly need and that was my criteria, I can't afford 'excels at one task' tools, those kind of cameras are always accompanied by another system....

Shashin

Pentax 645D and 35mm, 55mm, 120mm macro, and 300mm lenses. A Sony RX1.

I have found a two-camera system ideal. Before that it was a Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612.

Don Libby

This is fun so I'll play too.

My current kit includes a Cambo WRS which I've had for close to 5-years and a Phase DF which I just only came back to about 18-months ago. My current back for both of these is the IQ160.

I just picked up a Sonly NEX-7 which is currently undergoing surgery to make it a full-time IR camera.

Sandy, my wife/boss/shooting partner has been using a Canon 1DsIII since it first came out years ago.

Don

Godfrey

I've been in experimentation mode for a year or more now. What started at the beginning as a "reduce the unnecessary kit" blossomed into a "neat gear that has interesting qualities" game such that I now have more equipment than I have time to use. But lots of options to play with.

However, when it comes to "what do I use most of the time nowadays", that's going to be either the M9 and a couple of lenses, the X2, the E-PL1 with a pinhole/zone plate, or a classic 1950s 6x6 folder. Mostly the M9 or the X2, it seems from my LR catalog based on quantities of photos taken.

Here are the percentages for 2012-2013:

M9 48.2
X2 24.1
GXR 16.1
E-PL1 4.0
E-1 0.5
All film cameras 7.2​

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For pay Nikon, for Guy my new Fuji EX-1. I'm more a lens whore than collecting cameras anymore. What I really want is knocking 5 strokes off my golf game. LOL

Shashin

I find if I confuse my golf game with my bowling average, everything sounds so much better.

Last edited: