The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe...Inefficient or just plain unethical?

rayyan

Or maybe too big to care for little people and their money that it took?

This is my experience... Long post, but the attachments are necessary for accuracy. Apologies.

Adobe, and its payment processor Digital River Inc., have been unfair in their dealing with me.

I bought and paid for the license to use Photoshop CS6 on my iMac the sum of US$900.00. This was done through an online internet purchase for the said amount and the payment was made to Digital River Inc. accessed via the Adobe internet site.

However, and contrary to all my previous dealings with reputable companies on the internet, I was not given an order number, nor a confirmation receipt, nor any instructions to download my software purchase. Neither at the time of purchase nor later was any acknowledgement sent to my email that I provided during the purchase process.

However, and this is important, my card issuer sent me a message immediately that a sum of US$900.00 was authorized on my card number to the credit of Digital River Inc. with the date and time of the transaction. My card issuer followed this phone confirmation with a message to my email address.

I tried to contact Adobe. This was the most painful and convoluted process I have ever been subjected to.

After repeated attempts with Adobe support ' live chat '; the matter is still unresolved. I have in my possession a transcript of my last ' live chat ' where I was assured that the matter would be raised to the next level for resolution asap. This was some days ago. Did I mention I received an email from Adobe in Taiwan in a language I do not understand!! This before my last ' live chat '. And I attached that too in my ' live chat'.

I have advised Adobe that I shall go on all the internet forums and mention this fiasco if my matter remains unresolved for sometime. It is more than 'sometime' now. I also told them I shall contact the business bureaus in the relevant jurisdictions to pursue my claim. And I shall instruct my card issuer to initiate not only a dispute for the paid amount, but inform relevant authorities that a fraud could have taken place with this transaction processor that Adobe uses. And Adobe can be certain that I shall take this matter with their MENA regional offices in UAE.

In fairness, I have to add that I have downloaded a trial version of PS CS6 Extended valid for 30 days and shall pay for it as soon as Adobe informs my card issuer that my original transaction amount has been reversed and/or remains unclaimed. So as not to be charged twice. Else, I shall not deal with Adobe anymore and shall pursue my claim against Adobe with all legal means available to me. I shall, of course, uninstall all trial versions of Adobe sw from my computer ( Adobe shall deactivate them too!!). I am more ethical than them.

I just want people to know that as big as Adobe might be, they are either inefficient or would not hesitate to take your money without giving you the product paid for and make it very very difficult to get your money back.. They are doing this to me right now.

Buyers of Adobe products, at least in the ME region, be aware.

p.s

1. Your American Express Charge card ending in ...13 was authorized for use at DIGITAL RIVER INC on 25-04 at 9:17:01 PM for the amount of 900.00 US Dollar

If you have any questions, please call 24 Hour Customer Service, Toll Free 800 124 2229 or International +9661 474 9035 or +9661 474 8023

Yours sincerely,
American Express Authorization Department

2. Transcript of ' live chat ' with Adobe agent..

General Info
Chat start time Apr 26, 2013 5:45:07 AM EST
Chat end time Apr 26, 2013 6:35:30 AM EST
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:50:23
Operator Amit

Amit: I have escalated your issue to the next level and you will be contacted back with the resolution via email, Apart from this Is there anything else I can help you with from my end?
me: please accept my thanks. being an senior executive in an int'l organization, I would haul the senior most guy in your place from his country club. ask him to resolve this issue with 5 seconds or have him forego his bonus for the year. in lieu give people like you the authority to resolve the issue or ask for urgent resolution from those sitting on their butts. best regards and best wishes.
Amit: I'll be right with you.
Amit: I apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard. We will surely take this as a feedback and will work towards to improve on our services.
Amit: I'm happy to help. Do you have anymore questions for me?
me: you take care. thanks.
Amit: Thank you for contacting Adobe. We are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Goodbye!

3. Message from Adobe?...Do give the Adobe contact URL provided a try!!!

Tilisi | Adobe.com | Ota yhteyttä
Adoben tapauspäivitys

Adobe-tunnuksesi:[email protected]
Tapaus:0210658397
Tapauksen Kuvaus:Chat:refund issue (CH55955402)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Adobe.

This email is in response to the inconvenience caused related to the deduction of $900. We regret to inform you that we have checked with the email address that you have provided in our resources, but were unable to fetch any records. Hence, we suggest that you kindly update the case with the scan copy of the credit card statement where it is mentioned that you have been charged for $900, so that we can check and assist you accordingly at the earliest. We apologize for the additional time this will take and look forward to a positive resolution.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service Department: Adobe - (If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service Department: www.adobe.com/tw/aboutadobe/contact.html)

Your customer Identification number is : 0133044973

We appreciate your patience in this regard and look forward to assisting you.

Tämä sähköpostiviesti on vastaus tukitapaukseen #0210658397 jonka xxxx xxxxxx on lähettänyt.

Jos haluat vastata tähän päivitykseen tai tarkistaa tapaushistorian, kirjaudu sisään Adoben tukiportaaliin verkossa ja hae tapausnumero kohdasta "recent activity" ("viimeaikaiset tapahtumat"). Jos lisätietojen lähetys on tarpeen, voit tehdä sen avaamalla tapauksen ja lähettämällä päivityksen.

Jos sisäänkirjauksessa on vaikeuksia, katso lisätietoja Adobe-tunnuksen ja -jäsenyyden usein kysytyistä kysymyksistä.

Kiitos,

Adoben asiakaspalvelu

sagar

I had exactly similar experience with another big online retailer. From my experience I can guess its not Adobe's fault.

When I placed an order I could see amount authorized on my card but did not receive any order confirmation and could not see any details of order in my retailer account. (Same situation as yours)

When I contacted the Customer Service, the person confirmed that they can not see the order either. Off the record he told me that it can happen very rarely because of glitch in handshake between retailer site and card processor.

Person further confirmed that since it is only "authorized" on card and we do not see the transaction, I will not be "charged" and authorization will drop off automatically within 5-10 business days depending on authorization policy of my card issuer.

I called back my card company which confirmed that they drop "unused" authorization in 5 business days. And indeed on 6th business day authorization was gone and I placed the order with the same retailer with the same card and it went through w/o any issues

Moral of the story, it would be a fact that Adobe/Digital River indeed may not be seeing transaction and you should be good till its only "authorization" As per your card policy authorization will drop in 5-10 business days

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Adobe can be a pain to deal with. I'm a Creative Cloud member and the membership is automatically charged to a credit card every month. A couple of months ago, they were for some reason not able to charge the card, and all my Adobe software stopped working. After a few chats on their help line, they were not able to solve the problem. They did give me free access to the programs for a few weeks, but only if I went online every day to register, not an obvious thing in a third world country. In the end, I had to re-initiate the subscription myself, a solution they didn't mention at all.

The language is Finnish btw. Finns speak like that. I am for some reason registered at Adobe's online shop in South Africa, even though I had to buy the subscription in Norway, while I live in Thailand :loco:

rayyan

Sagar, thanks for the input. Yes, my cc issuer also told me the same thing. Authorization is not an actual payment. So I shall wait.

Jorgen..weird isn't it? I guess this is what they mean by globalization!! This whole episode has robbed me of the pleasure of using my new machine and the
Software. Anyway, the bigger a company is the worse they seem to act.

Vincent..I do not understand what you mean.

Thanks for your inputs.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Adobe ... Inefficient or just plain unethical ?

Adobe's Contact Service is a total disaster :loco:
Once I spent a fortune and the entire day trying to contact Adobe by phone because of a payment problem when ordering some Adobe software online :thumbdown:
I simply couldn't get through by phone, and they don't seem to have an email adress at all ... :wtf:
In one of the first chats I got a link to a website where I could ask to be called by phone by Adobe, but they never called me back :angry:
They only started new chats with me from some sort of a distant call center obviously in a country with very low salaries and employees who didn't have a clue about what they were doing :cussing:
Every time they didn't know what to answer me they just restarted the chat conversation all over again by writing: "How can I help you ?" or "Is there anything else I can help you with?" :facesmack:
At the end I simply gave it up :banghead:

NotXorc

In my experience, while Adobe's licensing can be draconian (at least the first time for an educational customer), I have not had a bad experience with actually getting the software.

However, I have had a bad encounter with Digital River. In my experience, it is one toxic and polluted stream! They are definitely on my blacklist of retail enablers that I scrupulously avoid. So sorry to hear that mine was not an isolated incident.

rayyan

Ben, I ain't having anything to with Adobe and their ' cloud ' offerings. With my current experience with normal purchases and trying to find problem resolution, trying to figure what happens ' up there ' is not for this mortal!!.

Steen, I thought I was the only one going thru their hellish ' contact ' service. It is no great pleasure to learn that others have had similar or worse experience than mine. I think it is time that just singing praises for Adobe be tempered with the realities of their problem solving hassles.

We seem to be too quick to blame cam manufacturers for the slightest omissions and/or poor customer service; but hardly mention the sw providers that are charging us ridiculous amounts of money for their products and at the same time give us atrocious service.

NotXorc; Sorry to hear that you too went thru an ' experience ' with Digital River Inc.

Adobe seems to have a lot of Evangelists for PS etc.; it is time they got some angels recruited to help us mortals with our purchasing problems. Less preaching and more ' doing ' is what is needed from this company.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: Adobe ... Inefficient or just plain unethical ?

Adobe's Contact Service is a total disaster :loco:
Once I spent a fortune and the entire day trying to contact Adobe by phone because of a payment problem when ordering some Adobe software online :thumbdown:
I simply couldn't get through by phone, and they don't seem to have an email adress at all ... :wtf:
In one of the first chats I got a link to a website where I could ask to be called by phone by Adobe, but they never called me back :angry:
They only started new chats with me from some sort of a distant call center obviously in a country with very low salaries and employees who didn't have a clue about what they were doing :cussing:
Every time they didn't know what to answer me they just restarted the chat conversation all over again by writing: "How can I help you ?" or "Is there anything else I can help you with?" :facesmack:
At the end I simply gave it up :banghead:
This is a very exact description of Adobe's customer care, and should be emailed to them... if they had an email address :rolleyes:

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have had issues with Adobe (US) but phone people were always knowledgeable and solved problems on the spot. I wonder if they have decided cost cutting is more important than good customer service. For a product that costs $900 you would think that they could have some people on the phones who could fix a problem like the OP's.

Ben Rubinstein

Sorry but they've just shot themselves in the foot. Badly. There were already many who saw the upgrades to CS6 not to be worth the price for the features added. Now they want people to pay double per month what they might have paid before on a regular upgrade cycle and if they refuse to upgrade or not see the need, be left with nothing. I'm sticking with CS5.

RVB

This cloud rubbish presents Phase one with a good opportunity to steal more market share from adobe,Phase should make C1P8 awesome ,adding lens correction's for more camera's would be a start.. Leica S is not even supported... DXO optics elite may also benefit here..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
CC (when it works) is great for those using multiple products. Being a graphic designer as well as a photographer, it's very useful. But the day I'm not doing design anymore, I believe I'm finished with Adobe. C1 is an excellent product.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My guess...

Step 1) Announce horrible policy.
Step 2) Everyone upgrades to CS6.
Step 3) Profit.

... and then go back to offering the "old" style as well.

I'm sticking with CS5.

--Matt

NotXorc

Matt, that has happened before. :) Adobe has got a lot of press out of their recent announcement of a policy change. This way, when they cave to the outcry, they appear responsive and in touch with customers. I've got to hand it to San Jose; they know how to manage perceptions. :clap:

Of course, my respect for their LR team's technical prowess remains.

rayyan

I got an email from the ' Finnish ' site..they have been unable to trace a transaction of that amount; they want me to commence a dispute for recovery of my funds.

How generous of them!!

Coming hot on the heels of their announcement. They do have their heads in the clouds; or the sky.

I have been using Adobe products since around 2002. Nice to have known them.