The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

YouSendIt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am having a difficult time trying to send files to a website creator using the clients FTP area and am considering establishing a yousendit account. First my experience with FTP sites has been a simple log in which creates an open window on a Mac..then its been just drag the folder and it goes? I get a message that I can not "update the site" . OK unless I get lucky don t expect to solve this. So I need to send a folder of jpegs to the website design team. My prior experience with yousendit has been generally single images. Any insights would be helpful.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
If you are on a PC this should work:

Activate your Explorer program.
Place the cursor on the relevant folder.
Choose: Files >> New >> ZIP compressed folder
(This will create a new empty ZIP compressed folder of just 1 Kilobyte size)

Now you just drag all the relevant files to the ZIP compressed folder. You will see that the ZIP folder grows to the sum of all the files sizes, and you are done. After this the ZIP file (folder) contains all your jpg files and it is ready to be sent with YouSendIt.com.

/ Steen

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks for the tip. I was able to create a small zip file and send 50 images as one document. My experience with yousendit has been that its a workable solution for some things but its really slow.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I wouldn't expect the speed to be any different than the usual upload and download on your internet connection ? Maybe you just hit a peak of heavy traffic on the YouSendIt server. What size did your ZIP file end up to be ?

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I wouldn't expect the speed to be any different than the usual upload and download on your internet connection ? Maybe you just hit a peak of heavy traffic on the YouSendIt server. What size did your ZIP file end up to be ?
My Zip file was about 24MB..not all that large. I had to send low resolution jpegs similar to what we use on the various forums. These will be sufficient for this assignment but not for others. When I upload using a dedicated FTP connection we are moving uncompressed RAW files and these upload in a reasonable time. Yousendit has a plug in to improve speed...just wondering if this can really be a alternative to the clients FTP?

scott kirkpatrick

I've been using Yousendit for six months or more. It has slowed significantly in the past month -- the price of success I guess. They have also placed a maximum file size restriction of 2GB, and their upload speed seems to be a function of file size (and time of day), decreasing strongly with very large files. Their downloads continue to be quite fast. Maybe if they are currently overloaded, this success will let them unlock the bottlenecks in the coming year.

scott