The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel insurance?

Rawfa

Hi guys,

I´m going to take a 22 days trip through Europe and I´ll be visiting Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia and Portugal (my sister is getting married there). After I´ve left Europe things got really bad...SPECIALLY on these exact countries (I have some friend who had some bad experiences). So I´ve been wondering if it´s worth to get some sort of travel insurance for my gear or not. Am I crazy? Did it really got that bad in the last 3 years since I´ve left?

- Sony Nex7
- Nex 16mm
- SLR Magic 23mm
- NEX 50mm
- Tamron NEX18-200mm
- 4 batts
- Several sd cards

If I was to go for the insurance would it really be worth it to insure absolutely everything or only the more expensive stuff?

rayyan

Rawfa, my experience. In all these countries in the last few years has been very good.

But take what I say with a grain of salt. One look at me, and others think I am out to snatch their stuff. Not the other way around.

But for your peace of mind...just the most expensive stuff.

Are you ( personally ) insured? You seem to care more for your equipment than yourself!,,:D

Have a safe and great trip. My best wishes to the bride and groom.

Don Libby

Rawfa - you're bigger concern is/should be proper health care insurance as well as a telephone that will work in the countries you visit. Sure it'd be a pain to loose the equipment but that can be replaced at a reasonable cost when compared to just one-hour in the emergency room.

Just my 2¢ for what's worth....
Don

Rawfa

I didn´t ask about health insurance because I´ve got that covered.
I´ve just bought insurance for my entire gear.

V

Vivek

Rafa, Odd post here. You should know better about some of the countries you listed than any of the posters here, including myself!

How many of the languages you speak, btw? :)

Rawfa

Hey Vivek,

I´v left Spain more than 3 years ago...which is exactly when things started crumbling down and I have several friends there who say things are rough and you can see it in the streets. My parents live in a very small town in Portugal (which is frankly the place I´m least concerned about). I also have some friends who visited Athens and were very impressed with the decline. It might sound like a strange question coming from someone who lives in Rio de Janeiro, but the difference is that Rio was always are dangerous place and now it´s starting to get better...plus the violence is very localized.

P.S - Fluently I only speak english, portuguese and spanish...then I know some catalan and french :)

V

Vivek

There you go! So, most countries in the list are covered by your language proficiency, Portugese roots, Barcelona street experience and now the Rio experience. You should be out here giving advice to others, my friend.

I hope all goes well for you and my best for the bride and groom as well. :)