The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GAS is bad?

Godfrey

Addiction is such a terrible thing. It turns people into preachers about a third of the time.

G

Tim

He is right :lecture: but even a race car driver loves to buy and talk cars.... :talk028:

OH NO... Dagnabit, someone had to bring up the dreaded car analogy!
:dh2:

Rawfa

I was about to post this article. Sadly I identify a lot with the writer...although not in such an extreme way. I DO visit camera gear websites on a daily basis and drool over the new toys that are about to be released...but I tend to keep the same equipment for a year or 2 before changing and I rarely have more than one camera at the time...now actually being the first time as I use a Canon 6D for more pro work (not a lot) and video and the NEX7 for trips and everything else...SEE! I´m already trying to justify and now that I consciously think about it I´m probably looking for validation here. This sucks :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was about to post this article. Sadly I identify a lot with the writer...although not in such an extreme way. I DO visit camera gear websites on a daily basis and drool over the new toys that are about to be released...but I tend to keep the same equipment for a year or 2 before changing and I rarely have more than one camera at the time...now actually being the first time as I use a Canon 6D for more pro work (not a lot) and video and the NEX7 for trips and everything else...SEE! I´m already trying to justify and now that I consciously think about it I´m probably looking for validation here. This sucks :D
Only 2 cameras? Can that be healthy?

Tim

I DO visit camera gear websites on a daily basis and drool over the new toys that are about to be released...but I tend to keep the same equipment for a year or 2 before changing and I rarely have more than one camera at the time...

I visit the sites daily also, but more for entertainment. Its nice to keep up with whats available and whats just been released. Its does not always mean I rush out to secure one. I had a X100 and sold it. The X100s has been released and I read about it downloaded the brochure and read reviews. I am yet to buy one. I see no hurt in examining the offerings.

I posted a thread asking what core cameras people use. The results were interesting. Mine right now is a Ricoh GR/DP2M/OM-D. I still have some lust for the output of the DP2 and wonder if the DP2M was a good move for me. Lately I've even been considering relieving a mate of this DP1s. Going retro is one way to ease the money pain as there are some extraordinary bargains from only a few years ago. These were the cameras we used to lust after.

Some examples.. Sony's Nex5 the X100 (old one) Ricoh GRD IV.. What about old digital Leicas? the M8 had its problems but with PP it could yield great images.

Only 2 cameras? Can that be healthy?
Jorgen, I could not manage it. I'd hate to start a "what if you could only have one camera, what would you choose?" thread

hhhmmmm... maybe I'd go with..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I could not manage it. I'd hate to start a "what if you could only have one camera, what would you choose?" thread

hhhmmmm... maybe I'd go with..
I would consider participating in a "What if you could only have 10 cameras, which ones..." :ROTFL:

Seriously though, most of my cameras are old, and I can probably count on one hand (Edit: or maybe two?) the ones I've bought new ever. Other photographers' GAS is what I feed on, and quite happily so :p

Now I have to think... the A95, E-1, D80, S5 and the first GH1 were all bought new plus the Adox Golf 1A (birthday gift), OM-1 and OM-10 (more or less stolen from my father :ROTFL: ) and a P330 that I kind of borrow at the moment.

I think I've said it before: Having many cameras is like walking into a restaurant with a great menu. Today, my appetizer will be the GH2 with 7-14, the main course is the F6 with 85mm f/1.8 and I'll finish off with the P330 in case the two former can't satisfy my needs :D