The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

decisions, decisions ...

Godfrey

The gear pile just got deeper again. A pair of Leicaflex SLs (one black, one chrome) and a quartet of Leica R lenses has been added (Summicron-R 50/2, Summilux-R 50/1.4, Summicron-R 90/2, Elmarit-R 135/2.8). Lovely, lovely stuff. All of it for significantly less then the cost of a single, new Leica Summicron-M 50/2 lens. I now own all the gear that in my youth was purest, finest unobtainium. You know something? It's still darn nice gear. I intend to make a lot of photos with it..

So. Now it's time to seriously prune the gear cabinet. What will stay, what will go ... Obviously, the Leica gear is staying, most of it anyway. And the Hasselblads. How much of what else is the question mark.

G

Tim

I've read that the Leicaflex SL viewfinder is one of the best ever!

I had a R4s for a while which was not particularly loved by others but it worked well for me. I had a 35/90 combo.

Godfrey

I've read that the Leicaflex SL viewfinder is one of the best ever!

I had a R4s for a while which was not particularly loved by others but it worked well for me. I had a 35/90 combo.
The Leicaflex SL and the R8/R9 viewfinders made me sorely want to buy into the system, first in 1971 and then again in 1998. They're just superb. I like the SL more than the later bodies, just a personal preference. But I couldn't afford the lenses at those times.

At this age, many of the Leicaflex SL prisms have lost some of their silvering. I don't know whether they're repairable anymore. The black one is in perfect shape, so are the lenses. The chrome one will be here on Tuesday. I hope it's in as good a shape as this one ..

My intent is to add the 180/2.8 to the kit at some point. Maybe go even longer, I hear the Telyt 250 is super. I'll give it some time. For longer telephoto, I can always mount these lenses on the Olympus E-1... :) It's a good illusion.

G

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
The viewfinder in SL is better than R8/R9, by a good margin. The only other camera that I can think of is Olympus OM-1.

Tim

The viewfinder in SL is better than R8/R9, by a good margin. The only other camera that I can think of is Olympus OM-1.
Ah, then I have an idea. I had a OM-2n for some years and later the OM4. I noticed the OM4 while good was a little smaller VF view than the 2. My brother had a very early OM1 for many decades and I recall the 1 and 2 being the same.

Godfrey

Ah, then I have an idea. I had a OM-2n for some years and later the OM4. I noticed the OM4 while good was a little smaller VF view than the 2. My brother had a very early OM1 for many decades and I recall the 1 and 2 being the same.
It's not just the size. I had OM-1n and OM-2 bodies. I found their eye relief too short for my needs. The SL viewfinder has lots more eye relief and superb viewfinder optics, making it just the right blend of bright while contrasty and easy on the eye.

I agree it's slightly better than the R8/9. It's quite a lot better than the Nikon F/F2/F3, which are a clear sight better than most (not all) others. (Top end Canon F1 were also good, but I never liked the cameras or lenses as much.)

Funny stuff, what suits one might not be best for another ... Thank the gods for lots of choices. :)