The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Desert Island Cameras

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So, when push comes to shove, if you only had one camera (system) what would it be?

I find it quite disturbing that whenever I choose to shoot with my favorite camera system that the first ones that come to mind are my XPan II and Fuji G617. Now I love shooting them but hate processing and scanning the film files. However, when it comes to pure enjoyment of shooting, these two are at the top of my list.

I am fortunate to have a collection of superb camera systems and when it comes to digital I do find that I reach for the Alpa & IQ160, although it's a little disturbing that I also enjoy using the P25+ almost as much as the IQ160. That's primarily due to the ability to shoot long exposures so I'm hoping that my soon to arrive IQ260 will address the balance. The Alpa ... yes it has a definite mojo but I confess that I like my XPan II a little more! :eek:

I also shoot a myriad of smaller systems including the D600, Fuji X100s, X-Pro1, X-E1. These all seem to fall in to the same bucket of being very very competent but ultimately not exciting. The Fuji systems at least have some mojo -- the X-Pro1 and X100s in particular are the first ones that I reach for when I want to shoot practical digital for travel or home use. Technically the D600 blows them all away but ... no mojo. I had a D800 before and it had even less. :(

So, what's your story? Despite all the technical glory of the current systems do you find yourself attracted to the qualities of other less 'capable' gear but that's more pleasurable to use?

Or, maybe it's just me ... :poke:

(Btw, I just realized that I spot a trend - all the cameras I most enjoy, other than the Alpa, are all from Fuji!)

robertwright

Easy, Mamiya 7. (paired with a flextight x1) Those things have to go together because if you are bothering with film you really want to see what you get and if you want to print big its a must have. If you only printed to 11x14 an epson would do, and they're dead simple.

Rangefinders in general would go to the top of my list of desert island cameras, they have the ability to let you take pictures you don't know you don't know how to take. SLR's give you the sexy viewfinder and like digital or mirrorless they tend to hew you to make pictures you know are "good". So to my mind you never really find out what "your" pictures might be.

If I was feeling impressionistic then M6 and 28,35,50. or 28,50,90.

But definitely film based. I'd like my memories to be on film.

Shashin

Based on past experience, if I could only have one camera, it would be:

Mamiya 6
Horseman SW612
Pentax 645D
RX-1
Widelux F8

I think I could live with that one...

Shashin

Personally, automation has never been a deciding factor in my choice of camera. The most important factors for me has been format, camera type, and whether it has a normal lens. And when I mean format, I mean aspect ratio. That has been one disappointment in digital, you can get any format you like as long as it is 3:2 for 4:3. However, I really like the flexibility of stitching in digital--any camera can be two in one (single frame or pano).

GrahamWelland

Ah yes, the Mamiya 6/7 ... that's another one with mojo. I've had three Mamiya 7's over the years and sold them at various times. :facesmack: A very satisfying camera to use and great lenses too, even if the hyper-focal settings were a tad optimistic (I'd always pick 1-2 stops down for hyperfocals with the Mamiya).

My Leica MP very nearly made the mark too. In the end though the 3 lens XPan II has won out for me and I just don't feel the love these days, but I certainly do understand those that do.

Another for me was the Nikon D3s. The closest thing to the uber Nikon that I've ever owned. Any place, any time, any light, any lens. It just can.

Based on past experience, if I could only have one camera, it would be:

Mamiya 6
Horseman SW612
Pentax 645D
RX-1
Widelux F8

I think I could live with that one...
Oh yes, the Mamyhorsetaxonylux ... we know it well :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No mirrorless, no compact but D700 + F6, at least if I'm going to look at the practical sides. Change to an unpractical choice and it would be the GX680, digital plus film. If I could choose among cameras that I don't own, a Hy6 with digital and 6x6 film backs.

I thought really hard about it. Tough to give up so many different cameras. My choice is the Leica M3.

Not based on performance, but on the fact that a large part of my enjoyment of photography is the lovely mechanical equipment and optics. M3.

Reed
DMC-365.blogspot.com

Godfrey

Any one of the cameras I own today would do fine. There are too many to enumerate. I'm not specially attached to any, I like 'em all.

G

Shashin

Hard to keep film cool on a desert island, just sayin
-bob
A desert is defined by rainfall, not temperature. For example, the Gobi desert, which is very cold. the two largest deserts in the world are the Antarctic Desert and the Arctic Desert. Hard to keep batteries charged in the cold or film from becoming brittle. The bottom line would it would suck to be stranded in a desert.

Godfrey

Hard to keep film cool on a desert island, just sayin
-bob
I think that "desert island" is a colloquialism meaning "deserted island" ... Which makes the weather one might experience there somewhat variable. :)

G

GregMO

So, when push comes to shove, if you only had one camera (system) what would it be?

I find it quite disturbing that whenever I choose to shoot with my favorite camera system that the first ones that come to mind are my XPan II and Fuji G617. Now I love shooting them but hate processing and scanning the film files. However, when it comes to pure enjoyment of shooting, these two are at the top of my list.

I am fortunate to have a collection of superb camera systems and when it comes to digital I do find that I reach for the Alpa & IQ160, although it's a little disturbing that I also enjoy using the P25+ almost as much as the IQ160. That's primarily due to the ability to shoot long exposures so I'm hoping that my soon to arrive IQ260 will address the balance. The Alpa ... yes it has a definite mojo but I confess that I like my XPan II a little more! :eek:

I also shoot a myriad of smaller systems including the D600, Fuji X100s, X-Pro1, X-E1. These all seem to fall in to the same bucket of being very very competent but ultimately not exciting. The Fuji systems at least have some mojo -- the X-Pro1 and X100s in particular are the first ones that I reach for when I want to shoot practical digital for travel or home use. Technically the D600 blows them all away but ... no mojo. I had a D800 before and it had even less. :(

So, what's your story? Despite all the technical glory of the current systems do you find yourself attracted to the qualities of other less 'capable' gear but that's more pleasurable to use?

Or, maybe it's just me ... :poke:

(Btw, I just realized that I spot a trend - all the cameras I most enjoy, other than the Alpa, are all from Fuji!)

I would also go with my 617. It gets more use than any other single camera that I own.
It's a nice blend of film surface area, light weight & can handle some amount of wind without images becoming effected. Not to mention with 120, there are plenty of film options to choose.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Not sure what photo opportunities there are on deserted islands... but it depends on the island I suppose. Still, I think I'd rather have a fire starter steel, a machete, a speargun, a net, and freediving gear than a camera. Assuming it's not some barren rock in Alaska. :) Oh, and some iodine and cipro tablets wouldn't hurt.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not sure what photo opportunities there are on deserted islands... but it depends on the island I suppose. Still, I think I'd rather have a fire starter steel, a machete, a speargun, a net, and freediving gear than a camera. Assuming it's not some barren rock in Alaska. :) Oh, and some iodine and cipro tablets wouldn't hurt.
So you would let your earthly desires win over Art :eek: :ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Welll of course but then there's the fine art side ...

Btw see Desert Island Discs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're in paradise and can pick just one camera :)

Oh, and I'd start with the operatic works of Mozart startng with Don Giovanni, the Magic Flute and The Marriage of Figuro. Starálfur by Sigur Ros, Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols, Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre and just about anything mixed by Armin Van Buren. Oh, and a few other eclectic musical items. A Psychiatrist can probably have a field day based on that! :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Don Libby

Interesting topic....

The way II look at things (which is normally a couple degrees off bubble anyway) is that my back is the camera which attaches to different bodies or "things". If I want to do landscape the first choice is of course (for me) the WRS if I need to run and gun then the body is a DF. The constant is the little black box attached to the rear where the real work is. So my way around the question that I'd have my IQ back. The second part of the equation is the WRS however the hardest part is which lens.

:chug:

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
iPhone so I can take pictures to send that I need food,booze and women.:D

Have to get your priorities straight here and if I can get that than don't send a rescue team. Lol

Tim

How about a pinhole camera, then I don't need to take care of the lens from all that sand.
Then if my camera get damaged the Professor can make another one from coconuts and give it to Gilligan to bring to me.

:watch: