The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo books and non-technical photography magazines you have enjoyed in 2008?

Amin

One of my resolutions for the new year is to spend more time looking at great photography. I'm interested to hear what photo books others here have enjoyed this year, and why. Also interested in recommendations for non-technical photography magazines.

simonclivehughes

Amin,

One of the few magazines I still buy regularly is B&W. No tutorials or equipment related articles, just all photography... very enjoyable.

Cheers,

Simon

Amin

Amin,
Next time you are in NY you should visit the bookstore at ICP. I could look around in there for hours. It isn't a big space but wow do they have great books.

While not a book, this series is fabulous and we went through a number of the segments in classes I've taken.

http://shopping.icp.org/store/product.html?product_id=3141
Thanks Terry, I will check it out. The series looks very interesting!

Amin,

One of the few magazines I still buy regularly is B&W. No tutorials or equipment related articles, just all photography... very enjoyable.

Cheers,

Simon
Appreciate it Simon. I've purchased a few issues in the past, and it seems like a great magazine.

simonclivehughes

Amin, another book I return to again and again is James Nachtwey's Inferno. As disturbing as the contents are, his sense of composition and timing is extraordinary and the printing is remarkable. If you get a chance to see the documentary on him called War Photographer, don't miss this either.

Doisneau's Paris is another book I'll happily curl up with, as is anything by W. Eugene Smith or Helmut Newton or Salgado.

So many books, so little time (and money)!

Ciao,

O

Oxide Blu

One of my resolutions for the new year is to spend more time looking at great photography.
I've spent most of the last year stepping away from film based photography, been trying to figure out what a pixel is.

I look at a lot of photography. For the last couple of years I look mostly online, not so much at books or exhibitions anymore since I moved to the countryside in Japan. (Local art tends to be mostly traditional Japanese style painting, ceramics, and flower arrangements.) It is ironic that Japan cranks out so many digital cameras because it is still a place where film photography is very much alive and well, and very respected. It's just so damn expensive to do in Japan. The Japanese photographers that I like are shooting large format, 8x10.

There are some great images posted right here on GetDPI. Also on 1x.com.

I really like Desiree Dolron's portraits: http://www.desireedolron.com/work.aspx#

ETA: for photo image magazines I think Europe has it over on the US. Difficult to find them in the US, even in NYC bookstores.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Favorite Magazines:
Lensework
B&W
and until it went broke CameraArts.

Books:

The Photograph: Composition & Color Design by Harald Mante

Boystown: La Zona de Tolerancia

Aftermath: Unseen 9/11 Photos by a New York City Cop

Sleeping With Ghosts: A Life's Work in Photography

Nobuyoshi Araki: Self, Life, Death: Limited Edition

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: A Photographer's Chronicle of the Iraq War

Photography Reborn: Image Making in the Digital Era

Stones of the Sur: Poetry by Robinson Jeffers, Photographs by Morley Baer

Duane Michals: Foto Follies How Photography Lost its Virginity on the Way to the Bank

helenhill

This Year I bought Books
of Individual Photographers Work

Bruce Davidson 'Circus'

Bill Brandt 'Shadows of Light'

Helen Levitt /the green hardcover book

Lisette Model 'An Aperture Monograph'

Elliot Erwitt's 'New York'

Henri cartier Bresson 'The Man,the Image, & the World'

Winogrand 'Figments of the Real World'

These books are Truly Captivating....Cheers !- H

ecliffordsmith

Hi Amin,

I think there have been some very good suggestions here. The Henri Cartier-Bresson book that Helen mentions would be among my desert island books.

One book that while not new, is new to me is Lee Friedlander's 'self portraits'. A remarkable book. What an imagination he has!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wonderful suggestions for some winter reading/viewing. I can contribute one sort of tangential book: Art & Fear (Observations On the Perils [and Rewards] of Artmaking by David Bayles & Ted Orland. An easy read that applies beyond photography.

woodyspedden

One of my resolutions for the new year is to spend more time looking at great photography. I'm interested to hear what photo books others here have enjoyed this year, and why. Also interested in recommendations for non-technical photography magazines.
Amin

You might want to visit the Online Photographer (www.theonlinephotographer.com). They compiled a list of the best photo books of 2008, some of which I have and could also recommend.

I would also recommend Henri Cartier Bressons The Scrapbook as a very wonderful read (as are all his books).

Happy reading

Woody

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Wonderful suggestions for some winter reading/viewing. I can contribute one sort of tangential book: Art & Fear (Observations On the Perils [and Rewards] of Artmaking by David Bayles & Ted Orland. An easy read that applies beyond photography.
Thanks for this suggestion. I'll have it in hand by Tuesday.