The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New job - Pelican Imaging

Lars

In June I joined Pelican Imaging in Mountain View, CA, to work on application development for Pelican's computational camera technology.

In short, Pelican's array camera produces an image with a depth map (distance information at every pixel). Read more at pelicanimaging.com.

-Lars

Shashin

Congrats.

BTW, when do we see these cameras? I would be really interested in 3-D modeling for scientific applications, although I think it is a little more complex than your company video shows...

Lars

Yes, well, the video on the site shows what's conceptually possible to do today - every part of that scenario isn't in place yet.

Pelican is currently moving from a research phase to a commercial phase. Probably we will see the camera available commercially in some form to end users within the next 24 months.

Shashin

Lars, that would be great. We do 3-D printing for scientific visualization at work. We have worked with software that takes photographs and converts them into 3-D representations. The results are crude and the process time consuming. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Lars

Yep images with depth information opens up all kinds of possibilities. 3-D printing is an obvious one, but there are of course many more possibilities.

Tim

you are pretty lucky and must be skilled to be involved with such a product. I am looking for the envious icon.

Any free samples? :D