The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

At Fuji, they can

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In my next life, I want to work for Fujifilm. Just look at this:

- 12 years after Polaroid went bust
- A couple of years after Nokia launched a mobile phone with a 41 megapixel camera
- The same year as Kodak is saved as a company, but not as a consumer film manufacturer

That year, 2013, somebody at Fuji says something like "Hey, let's make an enthusiast instant film camera that shoots photos the size of an average name card." And the others say "Yes, what a splendid idea!"

And all us silly westerners scratch our heads until we read the figures: Fujifilm expects the Instax Mini production to increase 25% this year to 2 million units (that's two zero zero zero zero zero zero units) and 20% each year after that. And then there's "film". Do the maths, guys, do the maths.

Browsing Fujifilm's website is one of my favourite wastes of time. They make all these quirky, obsolete products, and they keep developing more. Notice on the instax,jp website; there's space allocated for two more new products.

Shake It Like A Polaroid: Fujifilm Eyes Instant Gratification With Expanded Camera Line-Up - Japan Real Time - WSJ

instax mini90 | FUJIFILM

Correction: Kodak will still manufacture "consumer" film, but that part of the business will apparently be owned by Kodak Pension Plan. So, by shooting more Tri-X, we can save the dinner for Kodak retirees :)

Last edited:

alajuela

thanks for link...

There is hope!

Paul
Agreed Agreed with Jorgen!!!

Always liked Fuji, they always do something interesting and follow their own beat!!

Never to be ignored, they will always surprise us.

Phil

Last edited:

Godfrey

I like Fuji's film efforts so much more than their digital cameras ... !!
$210, eh? I might just have to get one of these when they show up.

G

Godfrey

Instant print cameras are an immediate win at any kind of party. I brought my Polaroid SX-70 fitted with a pack of Impossible Project Silver Shade Cool film to a party last weekend ... everyone was excited to see the pictures.

Yesterday I went to another party and a friend brought his Fuji Instax 210 along. This was the Oh-So-Typical result:

Going to another outing this afternoon. Another pack of IP Silver Shade Cool is out of the fridge and coming up to temperature now ... :)

G

Frederic

Yet they've been killing several films and making 20% price increases on the remaining ones each year recently...
They certainly make some great products, and I own a couple of them, but I'll never see them as film saviours.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The culling of unprofitable film types is an advantage for all, I believe. If Fuji can't make a profit on their production, it will die.

Shashin

Fuji is really being led by the Japanese market. There instant film cameras have always been a hit. If they can make money overseas, that is fine with them. This really gives them freedom to innovate, which is why they are alway producing some of the most unusual and original cameras on the market.

Personally, Fuji will be the best chance for film. Especially color material (Ilford seems to keep B&W going for now). They will have to limit choice because the film market has shrunk so much. And with lower volume and higher material costs, film prices will have to go up. They are running a business and they have their employees to take care of. Red is a pretty color, but not on your books.

scho

Looks like a mini 2x3 inch MF. Does it have a decent lens? Print quality? I wonder if print scans would be good enough to make larger prints. How about some mini type 55 variant film packs.:rolleyes: