The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions, decisions...

etrigan63

Gang,
I humbly come here seeking advice. I placed this thread here as it will touch many cameras and/or systems so bear with me.

Long ago (and thanks to this place) I came to the realization that there is no one camera that does it all (yet). To wit, I am currently sporting two camera systems: A Sony A99 for my stage and studio work and a Fuji X-E1 for my travel and walkabout needs.

I do want to make the move to MFD for my studio stuff, but MFD will never cut it for live stage performances. The A99 takes lovely shots but lacks the 3rd party support Canon and Nikon have. I could sell the A99 kit and go with a Nikon D800 for the dance/studio work keeping the Fuji for travel.

However, Oly's upcoming E-M1 paired with the 4/3 35-100 f/2 lens would be more than adequate for my dance needs (assuming the PDAF speed is as good as they claim), plus the OM-D line is small enough for travel needs using the Oly 12-40 f/2.8. If (and it's a big if) that camera performs as claimed, I could conceivably use that to replace Fuji & A99 for travel and dance needs and can then concentrate on committing the perfect bank robbery to fund the MFD gear I want. Just kidding. But some nice used gear financed by someone more trusting than the bank would be great.

That, long windedly, is my mental dilemma. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

V

Vivek

Let us hear more about that bank...:ROTFL:

If using Sony, I would dump the Fuji and the m4/3rds and go with the NEX system. Remember the much touted EM1 presumably uses a Sony sensor. The next generation of NEX' are likely to see a huge change (upgrade). and the A-E compatibility is already there and will likely to get better. Can't say that with Canon or Nikon.

I still have a GH2 and several m43rds cams. They aren't used at all (personal choice), despite having several ultrafast lenses for them.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I can't get rid of the Nikons myself. I just need that versatility for everyday jobs. I had the Fuji E x1 and I liked a lot of things about it but I was getting strange artifacts in the files on certain subjects which ultimately bothered me. If they had a new sensor I would buy one again. Now going back to MF DSLR would not solve my one camera primary needs, it would be awesome but I'm still stuck with some shooting issues. The D800 really solves any shooting issues as its just more versatile and I still get nice results. Tech cam I would rather have and love to get back to one but it is even worse with being versatile . Than I would like to have a travel cam and that has me in the air on about 10 different levels. I like a couple small cams like the Sony Rx1 and Leicas M but just too much money. Heck I even thought about going back to a M8 for that travel cam. I'm really in limbo on a travel cam as I don't want to invest too much either.

I'm no help here sorry but the A99 does nothing for me on a commercial level. I still need optical to see and shoot fast and follow focus than the Sony can do , the blackout kills it for me. Why I like the Nikons as for a old dog its just more natural to shoot and shoot fast.

If money was not the issue I would have my Nikons and a M9 setup with 3 lenses. That would do it for me than a tech cam with a nice back with 3 lenses for strictly landscape work.

Again my issue overall is I just shoot to many types of photography and its really hard to be with one system only. But if its only one than the Nikon is the best option as its the most versatile . This at least won't leave me short of a working gig. If I was a hobbyist than it be really easy a tech cam and a Leica M setup.

But in truth none of this gear wanting gets to me anymore either. I'm not even thinking about gear anymore like I have in the past. Yea I still want some more gear but I'm not stressing about it either. Also I'm doing more renting which solves some lens issues. My latest thoughts are have a great basic set of glass and rent the speciality lenses like a 200 f2 for instance.

etrigan63

Thanks Guy. That does clear things up for me. I've seen all of the discussions between you and Jack about the virtues/merits/pitfalls/drawbacks of D800 vs. D800E. Going that route, I guess availability will be the determining factor.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But if its only one than the Nikon is the best option as its the most versatile .
This kind of sums it up for me as well. I guess the same can be said about Canon, more or less. As much as I like m4/3, which is my most used system, I do need an optical viewfinder sometimes, I do need more resolution sometimes and the rock solid performance of a pro level DSLR has not yet been duplicated by any mirrorless camera.

Keeping multiple systems alive is expensive, but with the current state of technology, it's the simplest solution; one system for ultimate quality, one for convenience.