The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re: Paypal Question...Help!

D&A

Re: Paypal Question...Help!

***Update***

Hi Everyone,

I thought it only fair to provide an update to this particular transaction of mine which raised a number of questions. The overseas buyer involved is new to eBay (one ligitimate photographic purchase of a fairly expensive item) and has received and given one positive feedback. Not being a Paypal member, he simply will pay for the eBay item via a credit card thru Paypal.

There are the issues that have arrisen so far and although I can see where some might say "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..etc.etc", I do want to keep in mind, we all were newbies of eBay and Paypal at one time and things might have been a little confusing for us as it appears to this potential buyer.

Issue #1: shipping with full insurance to his destination is approx $125 . I wanted to cut him a small break, so I made it an even $100 . When he went to pay for the item, eBay automatically calculates the shipping charge to his destination, which came to $81.00 . I made up the $19.00 difference as listing it under handling fees. For whatever reason, when he goes to pay for the item in check-out, it does not show the correct total of $100 for the shipping, and he must pay exactly amount shown as the total cost is (of item plus shipping) in order to both pay and receive protection of his purchase.

I finally got around this by simply saying just to pay the $81 for shipping as shown and I'll cover the rest. I haven't had experience making a direct purchase of an overseas eBay item and paying directly with a credit card, so I can't comment on what he encountered and why he couldn't pay the original shipping as eBay calculated along with the handling fees I added (which is simply part of the postal insurance costs)?

Issue #2: when the above problem was resolved and he went to pay for the item directly via credit card thru Paypal, being a pricy item, they said his purchase was over the initial limit they set up for him and after he requested that limit be raised, that it would take 3-4 days to come back with an answer and do so. His very recent previous purchase of another photographic item was somewhat pricy and I would guess this might also have something to do with reaching some sort of spending limit.

It didn't sound like he reached the spending limit on his actual credit card but simply some sort of Paypal protection where they initially provided his with an upper limit that he could charge. Whether that applies to a single transaction or it's additive to a number of recent purchases made, I don't know.

So where this leads to I honest don't know and whether it should raise red flags or not, is hard to say. Thanks again everyone!

Dave (D&A)