The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Multiple bodies?

Tim

Most of us have a couple of systems or additional single lens cameras and lately I have been finding myself carrying cameras with different focal lengths to cover my needs.

In my case I have GR (28mm equivalent), a DP2M (40mm eq) and an OM-D with 14mm (28mm eq) + 20mm(40mm eq) + 14-45 zoom. :eek: Perhaps I should just toss all the OM-D lenses for a 45mm (90mm eq) and carry that welded to the OMD with the GR and DP2M as a 28/40/90 kit?

What do you think? are we better off with the old one body + three lenses (or however many you need) or go the three body + three lenses route?

How do you travel? Is it all madness? :loco:

simonclivehughes

Tim,

I've always preferred to have two bodies, one for the wide and one for the long end. (I tend not to shoot in the middle much.) My gear of choice is a pair of NEX 7 bodies paired with Sony and Voigtländer primes. Small kit, plus, I have a backup body should one pack up.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

I've always preferred to have two bodies, one for the wide and one for the long end. (I tend not to shoot in the middle much.) My gear of choice is a pair of NEX 7 bodies paired with Sony and Voigtländer primes. Small kit, plus, I have a backup body should one pack up.

Cheers,
You have an added advantage of one operating system to remember. Quick access buttons can be setup the same and which wheel is exposure compensation and the like are the same across bodies. It slows me a bit as I change systems.

fotografz

I've always been a two or three body, 2, 3, or 4+ lens shooter. Usually the same brand camera, or different brand cameras if the mount is the same (like a Leica M and a Sony NEX with M adapter).

The reasoning is based on travel or wedding/location portrait work where a second or third camera with lenses that work on all of them is essential to insure against failure of a camera.

One camera, multiple lenses is never a good idea when traveling or shooting hard to re-do scenarios. In the case of wedding photography, one camera is like harboring a death wish because it is a one time scenario that you cannot re-do the next day.

I typically use a Sony A900 and A99 as the mainstay system for weddings, but take a Leica S2 for formal portraits and a Leica MM for candid B&W available light work throughout the day. Push comes to shove, and it is the Sony kit that is the true mainstay, and the others are just a preference that are not essential.

When I travel by plane, it is usually the Leica M system, but I am currently devoid of a second color camera that takes M lenses. I am waiting to see what Sony may do with the NEX system, and have avoided securing a M240 because I am not convinced of the CMOS color rendering as of yet. The NEX system is preferred because it takes my Alpha A mount AF lenses with an adapter, and acts as further back-up to the mainstay Sony cameras.

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I often use multiple m4/3 bodies with different lenses. Saves me changes and backup is included. In addition, I sometimes carry a Nikon P330 in my pocket and a Nokia 808 for snapshots. Yes, I don't want to miss any shots... lol

V

Vivek

The numbers (except 1) are unimportant. The fundamental question is if one is in the "right frame of mind" and if the drive to capture something is there.

Yes, tools are unimportant. This whole phone camera phenomenon basically changed all the body/lens discussions/obsessions.

Recently, a friend pointed out about the huge decline of forum posts/discussions (globally) related to photography. His suspicion is that we are saturated with digital and perhaps it is time to go back to our film cameras. Photography had always been about images and this whole gear based set up we have (pretty much everywhere) was quite interesting when digital became affordable. We could discuss the nuances of the lens "draw", speed of auto focus, "ergonomics" of a particular set up, etc, etc for ever- or so it seemed.

I think, fundamentally, the focus was blurred wit respect to what photography was all about.

I am sorry if this is grossly off topic, Tim. I couldn't help notice your posts with pretty much the same theme that I suspect has origins outside of gear. Let me add that you are not alone in that.

Tim

I couldn't help notice your posts with pretty much the same theme that I suspect has origins outside of gear. Let me add that you are not alone in that.
Its very perceptive, as this is where my thinking is leading me. I am sliding toward less is more with regard to making images. The gear is getting in my way. I've always been a Prime lens guy but there is still something in the way of the process for me. Its about carrying and using the bare minimum to concentrate on seeing and making an images - I have always regarded them as separate. I tend to take images I see rather than create or make one.

We've got some nice sensors that have been designed and made, and we have some wonderful optics, in between? Digital cameras get in the way enough with their OS interface and I feel less is more - doh! I said it again!

Sometimes I dream about liberating myself and get rid of the lot but for one camera and lens. My version of this is often to carry the minimum. Luckily I don't have to make a living and can choose to do that.

fotografz

The numbers (except 1) are unimportant. The fundamental question is if one is in the "right frame of mind" and if the drive to capture something is there.

Yes, tools are unimportant. This whole phone camera phenomenon basically changed all the body/lens discussions/obsessions.

Recently, a friend pointed out about the huge decline of forum posts/discussions (globally) related to photography. His suspicion is that we are saturated with digital and perhaps it is time to go back to our film cameras. Photography had always been about images and this whole gear based set up we have (pretty much everywhere) was quite interesting when digital became affordable. We could discuss the nuances of the lens "draw", speed of auto focus, "ergonomics" of a particular set up, etc, etc for ever- or so it seemed.

I think, fundamentally, the focus was blurred with respect to what photography was all about.

I am sorry if this is grossly off topic, Tim. I couldn't help notice your posts with pretty much the same theme that I suspect has origins outside of gear. Let me add that you are not alone in that.
While I agree to a great extent, I'm not so sure it is relevant to whether one carries/uses more than one camera ... that depends on what you are doing, when and where. However, your point that the seemingly endless gear chatter originates elsewhere is an interesting one.

On the surface, gear obsession is probably more about the increase in shutterbug chatter due to the now ubiquitous www, and the fact that more people can participate due to the ease of shooting digital. It was pretty intense for a good amount of time because of the exponential rate of improvement. Now most everything has been discussed to death, and the rate of improvement is incremental at best.

I'm also not so sure that web chatter necessarily means less shooting, or one doesn't delve into what photography is all about. The latter may just be more difficult to discuss with anonymous www people as opposed to face-to-face. My closest pals with a mutual interest in photography rarely discuss gear, and even then it is more about achieving some creative objective than the engineering or novelty aspect.

- Marc

Tim

While I agree to a great extent, I'm not so sure it is relevant to whether one carries/uses more than one camera ... that depends on what you are doing, when and where. However, your point that the seemingly endless gear chatter originates elsewhere is an interesting one.

- Marc
I think the feedback here has been great and helped me make a few realizations. It may seem obvious but we all have to find our own path as to what works. Its possibly only rarely that a recommendation that any of us make will fit another - but maybe it will sometimes. We all have different visions not only about what we want to photograph but even how we will go about it. Add to the mix "budget" and it all over the place. Essentially you have to find your own way.

fotografz

I think the feedback here has been great and helped me make a few realizations. It may seem obvious but we all have to find our own path as to what works. Its possibly only rarely that a recommendation that any of us make will fit another - but maybe it will sometimes. We all have different visions not only about what we want to photograph but even how we will go about it. Add to the mix "budget" and it all over the place. Essentially you have to find your own way.
Yep.

- Marc

marlof

Even though I am in no way a professional, I carry two E-M5s, one silver, one black. One with a wide angle (12 or 17) and one with the 45. If I feel daring, I only take one, with the 25. This setup allows me to shoot in my preferred way, with prime lenses, without the constant mounting of lenses.

jonoslack

Hi There Tim
I'm rather with Marlof on this. I shoot best when using two similar bodies with different focal length lenses - but I do have two systems - but rarely mix them:

2 Leica M bodies - usually a 28 and a 50 (but with a WATE and a 75 tucked in the bag)

Or else two Olympus bodies - usually one with a zoom (currently either the underrated 12-50 or the Panasonic 12-35) the other with a longer lens - usually the 75-300.

I find that if I try to 'mix' it, then I spend too much time thinking about what I'm doing, and the kit gets in the way.

All the best