The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iconic photographers

Swissblad

Years ago I visited an exhibition on Senn, Schaub and Schuh, three Swiss photo reporters from the 1st part of the 20th century. I remain impressed by their work...

Keen to see the inspiration of others.

Photos are posted under terms of Fair Use:
The Copyright Act allows for copyright works to be used, and for such use not to be considered infringement, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and/or research, so long as the work is "fairly used." In determining whether the use in any particular case is a fair use Courts must consider four factors: (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Swissblad

Of the various portrait photographers, Yousuf Karsh must rate as one of the greatest (at least IMHO).

I remember being stunned by an exhibition of his work at the NPG.

Last edited:

Hosermage

I think about a year ago, someone in the forum asked "how can I take pictures like Nick Brandt?". I checked him out and was entranced.

*images borrowed from google images

Shashin

Well, lets have some women:

Mary Ellen Mark
Margaret Bourke-White
Bernice Abbot
Julia Margaret Cameron
Jane Evelyn Atwood
Graciela Iturbide
Olivia Parker

How about non-white:

Gordon Parks
Domon Ken
Hiroshi Hamaya
Raghubir Singh
Shoichi Ono

Nothing against white guys, I happen to be one myself (in fact, some of my best friends are white guys), but the history is just dominated by them and some other points of view can be nice. Sorry I am not linking. (I just think the WWW is just destroying respect for copyright.)

alajuela

Another women

Dorothea Lange - I am a fan

and comments on my favorites -- Arnold Newman and Herb Ritts.

ShiroKuro

Had a chance to go through some of Jeff's photographs ,amazing seeing his images printed and hearing the stories behind the pictures ...

This image was taken on Kalaupapa , Molokai .... entitled "The Great Escape "