The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Holidays with a photographic bias?

M

mjr

Evening!

A quick question to the getdpi folks, is it common for you guys to take holidays or trips because of the photographic opportunities? I'm thinking somewhere between a specific photographic workshop and a bog standard holiday.

The reason I ask is that my brother and I have now bought 2 properties, in Swedish lapland and Iceland, we're renovating both with a view to offering them as self catering holiday cottages. Both will be equipped to be photographer friendly, the Swedish property will have access to a dedicated studio including dark room and an array of printers, the Icelandic house won't be quite so well equipped photography wise.

Iceland is self explanatory, it's a stunning place, the property is in Akureyri, North iceland and is a great base for visiting the whole island. The Swedish property in in the far north, about 50kms from the Arctic circle, a very different environment but no less beautiful. Great for Northern Lights and excellent landscapes. We have access in Sweden to dog sledding for day trips in winter as well as guided snowmobile tours.

All in all, we will be able to offer beautiful landscapes in 2 amazing countries, so, is it something that photographers would be interested in? We're not talking fully guided tours, we're talking loads of advice and guidance on great places to visit but with the option for doing it all yourself.

Any comments or guidance would be appreciated, we're at least a year away from actually taking customers but plans are all in place and things are moving fast, now is the time to change things as required.

Looking forward to hearing opinions!

Mat

M

mjr

Afternoon!

No comments at all? Any items you're really like to see in somewhere you're staying? Have you ever thought, oh, I wish we had access to this thing or that thing?

I'm just looking for some pointers really, info from people who have gone self catering before, is it too much hassle? Are hotels what you would only ever go for? What would be on your checklist for staying somewhere, does the property matter at all? Is it not even a consideration as long as it's a roof over your head?

I have travelled pretty much constantly my whole adult life, over 80 countries now but I have only ever been on 2 holidays so I'm rubbish at knowing what people would like to have access to! So, please feel free to tell me what you think.

Thanks

Mat