The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Somehow shooting film today is "cooler"?

sisoje

My "way of shooting" was always the same. Regardless of what type of film was behind the lens. The "way I see the world around" was/is the same regardless. My views and style changed of course because I got older and matured as a human, not because my camera has memory card instead of a roll or sheet of film...

Please see the entire rant here:

FOTOGRAFIA INC. | Somehow shooting film today is "cooler"?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I read you "rant". The photos are great, of course, and what you write makes perfect sense. Still, I'm left with this feeling of "Yes, and so what?". People have different attitudes, different experiences and enjoy different aspects of photography. Although I shoot more digital than film, sometimes much more, I still enjoy film a lot. It's not particularly useful, but the whole process makes me feel good. Choosing a film type and an ISO value and stick with that for a day, working within those limitations. Does it make me a better photographer? Maybe, maybe not, but that's besides the point. I enjoy using film and using those cameras designed a while ago. Some others do too. For some, it's religion and like in many other religions, there are those who think they are the chosen ones, the missionaries. So let them. Film photography is one of those religions that don't do much damage to this world. I wish most human behaviours were as peaceful and non-damaging as film photography. Alas, humanity doesn't seem to be created that way.

As for the coolness factor, yes, it's there. Changing films in an iPhone crowd really does attract attention. I'm sure it can be a girlie magnet too, if there's a need for that :D