The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Guy Tal tells it like it is about being a pro.

Tanngrisnir

If you don't know Guy Tal (and you should), he's a landscape photographer who primarily shoots the U.S. Southwest and very often waxes philosophically on a number of different subjects.

This one's about life as a pro, and what came before it for him.

Very much worth the 5 or so minutes it takes to read, if you're considering the jump.

Hear no Evil | Guy Tal Photography Journal

k-hawinkler

If you don't know Guy Tal (and you should), he's a landscape photographer who primarily shoots the U.S. Southwest and very often waxes philosophically on a number of different subjects.

This one's about life as a pro, and what came before it for him.

Very much worth the 5 or so minutes it takes to read, if you're considering the jump.

Hear no Evil | Guy Tal Photography Journal

Thanks. So true, no matter what your interests are! ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey with a name like Guy how can he be wrong. Come On. LOL

Actually this one paragraph says it all for me.

"Photography as a business has changed considerably in recent years. Old models may no longer be possible. If you want to make a living in it, you have to be creative not only in your photographic work but in coming up with novel ideas. I say this with the humility of someone who still wonders about the long-term prospects of being in this business, and the knowledge that I could not have done it without the unwavering support of my wonderful wife. But, even if it all ends today, it would still have been the right call and one of the most transformational experiences of my life. It has altered me in ways I could not have predicted and has made me a better person. "

From Me:
After 38 years I still wonder if it was the right call. I was 19 and stupid but I think I made one damn decent decision. I live with that desicion everyday and bottom line I have no regrets. Frankly I could be a helluva a lot richer but maybe not as enriched in my life.

JoelM

A good way to ruin a great hobby is to make a career out of it. I was a pro for about 2 years while waiting to get a job in my field. I supported myself just fine, but the last thing I wanted to do on the weekends was to go out and take pictures or work in the darkroom. Once that was over, I really enjoyed my photo treks once again and spending long nights in the darkroom.

Joel

AndrewG

Thanks for sharing this! It is very timely for me. I own my own business, make a much better then average living and have a very comfortable lifestyle, but after a year and a half long legal battle with a former business partner who turned out to be a crook to collect on a large payment default on some property(they have the money, just don't want to pay), I am just absolutely worn out with the soul sucking experience that is my industry. I have come to realize that I am completely lacking any passion for what I do for a living and it is affecting every facet of my life.

For all the reasons Guy states, in the past two weeks I have really started to consider making the move.