The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finding Tech for Cleaning Rear Inside Glass Element(s)..Help Please!

D&A

Hi All,

An aqautance has two of the following medium format lenses:

1) Pentax 67 300 f4 manual focus lens

2) Pentax 645 FA 400 f5.6 AF lens

Obviously one is strictlly a manual focus lens, the other a autofocus one.

He took both lenses on a trip a while ago where they got covered in light mist and rain and after a time being stored, the internal side of the rear elements on each lens shows some haze/cloudiness, for the most part towards the periphery of the inside of the rear element. At this time it simply looks like haze/cloudiness but nothing resembling typical fungus, luckily.

He'd like to find an appropriate place to send the lenses to, that is extremely competent in very quickly working with and cleaning these elements so he has the lenses back in time for some of his upcoming trips. HE won't be able to supply camera bodies aid in checking focus etc. Other than the haze/cloudiness as described, lenses focus and work perfectly.

Are there any good suggestions for repair here in the States for someone really good, competent and relatively quick in turnaround for these types of lenses. I've heard of Focal Point Lens Service but know nothing about them. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

I've heard good things about Precision Camera Works - they list Pentax as one of the brands that they work with.

Precision Camera Works

Hopefully someone who has actually used them will chip in.
I very much appreciate the suggestion. The reason I want to tread carefully and get some recommendations, is there are many repair facilities that mention they work on all the major brands (and list them), but in my own 1st hand experience when it comes to some of these places working on lenses...quite a few have made more of a mess or created other issues after working on a lens than going through the trouble in the first place.

Again thanks and hope others chime in.

Dave (D&A)

fotophil

Lens repair requires different skills that camera body repair. The cloudness may be mold or fungus - I suggest that you contact Pentax ASAP
for their recommendations.

D&A

Agreed! Cloudiness or haze can certainly be wither mold or fungus or simply be wiped off if it just started. A lens tech is quite different from a camera tech in the skill required. Pentax repair facility here in the US is no more but contracts out to a 3rd party. With regards to repair of Pentax lenses, their track record is spotty and not highly recommended.

Therefore for my acquaintance whom I'm trying to help out, it has to be someone with a strong reputation. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Have you considered calling KEH? They handle just about everything due to their used dept and offer repair service across the board for pretty much all makes. I've bought a lot of gear from them and never had a problem so at least their inspection side is up to par IMHO. I haven't had to use their repair service personally though.

Worth a call.

D&A

Thanks Graham. I was toying with the idea of calling them and no doubt they or someone for working for them them must service the thousands of lenses they get in each month. Although I agree they are good on the selling side of things (and often times as the buyers)...I've heard absolutely nothing about the repair side. I'd hate to recommendation them to my acquaintance without a recommendation.

I spoke on the phone with Focal Point and was impressed with the conversation we had and apparently from what I described as the issue, it's exactly what he specializes in. That gave me some hope he might be the one to turn to.

I'll keep everyone posted if I decide to go with him but will wait a while longer for any other suggestions. Thanks again.

Dave (D&A)