The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Guess the format?

Shashin

I guess it means that mixing images from different cameras that have been processed badly and then displayed small on a monitor means I can guess which camera it was taken with more often than not.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I was not so good guessing. I stopped at about 60 having got a bit more than half right. Is that "more often than not"?

jonoslack

I guessed right on almost all of them (13 of 15) before I stopped. :p
Yes, my son did that - admitting afterwards that he had actually guessed opposite of his instinct - because he suspected the images were chosen to trip him up . . . . . then he read the about and realised they were picked at random :ROTFL: then he tried again and got a bit better than 50%

I was not so good guessing. I stopped at about 60 having got a bit more than half right. Is that "more often than not"?
Me too - Some shots are fairly obvious - and the statistics page bear that out.

I think it's interesting stuff, perhaps we aren't quite as sussed out as we think?

Shashin

The image posted in the test don't have the resolution to even be "photo quality." I am sure I could take an iPhone into the studio and come out with a really nice image that will look really good on a monitor. A photograph is a collection of variable and when you throw in whether the picture is pretty, it gets even messier.

Repeat the test with 24" prints and I bet things change.

On a related note, I keep seeing people bemoan the fact that sample photos from places like DPreview are not very interesting and they should have "better" pictures to show "what the camera can do." The camera does not change interest nor make good pictures. You can take powerful images with any camera. Unfortunately, the item that gives that result is not for sale.

Elderly

By chance yesterday I found myself at the 'Landscape Photographer of the Year' exhibition at the National Theatre in London.

In the captions, were details of the equipment used, info of focal length, exposure details and post processing (do I really want to know that the dust spots were removed using CS4??????).
They were all exhibition sized prints and shot with a wide variety of gear.
I was just so very very shocked to see that there so many extremely good photographs shot using out of date bodies, kit zooms and even compacts - how IS this possible? :rolleyes: ;) :D