The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ergonomics & habits

sinwen

Since I use a P&S, all auto mandatory, my habits have probably change. Before I decided "this afternoon I am going out snapping pictures", so I prepared my gear depending where I was going to, I was then all into photo mode for that afternoon.
I don't do that anymore, just don't feel like that much, but prefer to have permanently a camera with me. I go shopping ? OK the P&S is nearly all the time with me.
I wouldn't bring my Leica M, even if it is considered a small camera.

So habits have changed and the camera has to be microcospic. But I think their ergonomics isn't appropriate. They are obviously very light and tripping the shutter give a vertical move prone to blurr the picture.
As you frame with the back screen at arm lenght, it would have been better to have the shutter button on the back of the camera so you could press it with your thumb.
In place of the actual shutter button you could have all the wheels you want to set shutter speeds, apertures ect... adjustable with the forefinger.
This is just an example

It's true that until now with the Ricoh GR and Pana GM1, there was no serious cameras to pocket, but now manufacturers should re-think their ergonomic entirely.