The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does anyone know this signature?

johnnygoesdigital

I found this old original gelatin print. The photo style looks very familiar, but I can't figure out this signature. Can anyone decipher it? Thanks.

Johnny

Last edited:

Tim

I had a bit of a trawl through google images for photographer signatures and couldn't see anything.
I am rather intrigued as its an interesting scrawl.
If you take the characters in order it looks like B o t t o i n or maybe Bottoiri but I have no idea

just for the heck of it, this page has some Edward Curtis sample sigs at the bottom - http://www.edwardcurtis.com/collectors-guide/

Where did you acquire the photo?

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Tim,

Thanks for the input. It's a beautiful print found in a box while cleaning. It's a distant relative (i think), and based on the wardrobe, seems to be from the early nineteen hundreds.
In addition to this print there's portraits from Aimee Dupont studios, Samuel Gottscho portfolio's (architecture), and a few others. The use of lighting and printing really appeals to me. There's such a tangible quality to silver gelatin. Thanks again, much appreciated.

J