The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wish I had time to make photos ...

Godfrey

I'm way too busy to see in photographic terms at the moment, and will be for another week and some. All the nattery conversations about doing the math, pixels this, Leica T that, ad nauseam... is beginning to drag on me. I spend most of what little time I have available to skim the internet right now looking at photos and dreaming about what I'll do with the cameras as soon as our annual conference is over.

I ponder equipment. Things shift...

My Sargasso Sea of Polaroids has expanded again. Two people sent me their long unused SX-70 Sonars ... One is broken, I don't know that it's worth sending it out for repair, the other seems to work well. The electronic flash for SX-70 (bought from Impossible, marketed by MINT) really expands the capabilities of the camera. I also obtained an SX-70 filter set from MINT—it includes a semi-fisheye attachment, close up lens, and ND/Yellow/Blue/Green filters. My discovery that with some care I can use the Impossible 600 film in the SX-70 also expands the camera's usefulness. A dozen and a half packs of fresh film await. These cameras are inspiring me for some reason. Along with the A7 and the E-M1.

I haven't touched the M9, the GXR, or even the X2 in a while. Even though I pulled the X2 out to use it, I'm not finding it inspiring me. I have the CL loaded and haven't clicked the shutter on the roll yet ... it's been three weeks. I still haven't run a roll of film through the 1964 Nikon F I had refurbished to as new. It's time for a big closet clean out, I think. Too much gear floating in the closet for comfort, I think.

Such it is, on it goes. Keep posting your photos: they keep me from being in the too much work doldrums.

Thanks!

G

Ben Rubinstein

I've been too busy to take photos since January and I run 3 photographic studios. Amazing how bogged down in all the 'everything else' you can be even when surrounded by cameras and equipment and opportunities. I was waiting for a meeting with the head of the school where I teach photography yesterday, took out my camera and just shot out of the door to the office, keeps me going I suppose, sometimes you just snap the snapshot.

Was a good meeting at least, got a budget for DSLR's for next year which is more than I've managed for the past 3 years. I've got an idea for an adventurous project, will take a lot of resources though. Could be a lot of fun if I can get it moving. I'm rather more inspired by the end of the year show the school is doing than the students themselves whose collective heads I'd like to hit against the nearest brick wall at the moment.

Tim

Godfrey, thank your lucky stars that someone even replied to you here.
I've posted two thread starts and did not get even one reply.
Mods just about may as well delete my account.
I checked to see if I had bad breath, seems maybe everyone is busy these days!

Terry

I'm just getting back to photography after a hiatus to move back to the east coast (again) and to completely gut and renovate an apartment. Also, got back involved in a different hobby and launched an whole new business at work.....time to get back out there and learn to shoot again.

Godfrey

Godfrey, thank your lucky stars that someone even replied to you here.
I've posted two thread starts and did not get even one reply.
Mods just about may as well delete my account.
I checked to see if I had bad breath, seems maybe everyone is busy these days!
But how did you check? Did you use the Nano-Sensitive Breathalyzer S-NiF? ]'-)

I think it's just A Lull in the Conversation time.
It'll pass. Time to get busy on another book...

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmmm busy taking photos is great for me. Photography for me is money. I gave up the hobby thing I love it thoughts up many moons ago. But I still have a tremendous passion for it. My bitch is I don't have time to shoot for ME. But that's okay too

Work is work / play is play it's just nice when sometimes they meet.

Tim don't you go anywhere. Seriously I feel I'm the only one posting from the management. Frankly not sure why I bother anymore but I love the members so I continue on.

Godfrey

Hmmmm busy taking photos is great for me. Photography for me is money. I gave up the hobby thing I love it thoughts up many moons ago. But I still have a tremendous passion for it. My bitch is I don't have time to shoot for ME. But that's okay too

Work is work / play is play it's just nice when sometimes they meet.

Tim don't you go anywhere. Seriously I feel I'm the only one posting from the management. Frankly not sure why I bother anymore but I love the members so I continue on.
+1 on counts 2 and 3.

I gave up the photography for money thing at the end of 2010. I loved it, it was grand when there were jobs to be had, and I had good clients and enjoyed doing good work. But that was a while ago now, and I can't say I regret what I'm doing for work now. It's fun sometimes (most of the time) too, and the people here are great. The money is far better ... I'll be able to fund retirement in a reasonable number of years at this ... but it's the people and the work that keep me going.

However, it's not the same thing as doing photography, writing, and working for yourself.

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No unfortunately not. Sometimes I yearn for a real job than I wake up. LOL
But as I age my big concern is retirement and given my wife's health and the medical bills. It's just not in the cards. That's okay though you chose a path and you stick with it. That's my framework.

Tim

Thank you Guy, I also love the members here, there is a real style and great mix of skills that make this a unique place. Real opinion (sometimes firm) but tempered with politeness makes me keep coming back.
I should stop whining and endeavor to be more positive and make an effort to contribute images or something more often.

Its the great people here that make this forum!

Godfrey

IMO, it would be great if more of the wonderful conversation that goes on here and is not brand specific happened in the Sunset Bar forum.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMO, it would be great if more of the wonderful conversation that goes on here and is not brand specific happened in the Sunset Bar forum.

G
The intent of this entire "Other Discussions" section was to be brand agnostic or any/all brand inclusive. The intent of the the "Sunset Bar" was a location to house any discussion, including those not related to photography.