The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Rig, Big Satisfaction

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was asked to do a couple of events recently. I haven't done events seriously in years, since the last ones I did didn't give results that were up to what I consider my standards, but these ones were tempting, so I had to ask myself a couple of questions, like: why did I take better event photos 7-8 years ago than more recently?

The most obvious thing I could think about was gear. Originally, I used the Fuji S3 with a Tamron 24-135mm and a Metz 70MZ-5, but they all developed problems, so I tried other combinations of gear, which didn't work out as well.

So I bought a vertical grip for the D700 that I have used far too little, but would give me DR nearly as good as the Fuji (the camera, not the grip). I got the Tamron lens fixed (a much better lens on the D700 than on the Fuji anyway, and they can be had for $1-200 on the great, big auction site now) and found a couple of Metz 70MZ-5 with low mileage (one actually brand new) for a couple of hundred dollars each.

Here's the result:

I'm a strong advocate for lighter gear, but at events, endless battery power, effortless shooting at ISO 1600 or higher and not least; all the flash power that can possibly be stuffed into a handheld device, are vital elements for success. For parties, being recognised as "The Photographer" is convenient too. With the rig above, there's no doubt.

It's rather heavy, must be around 3 kilograms, and lifting heavy stuff at the gym on a regular basis does help for long events. Still, I need a couple of days to get back in shape, or at least my arms do.

Here are a couple of results, both shot "right now", since "right now" is often the only opportunity that comes around, even for formal shots like the first one.

D700 with Tamron 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 135mm and f/5.6. Flash straight ahead in TTL mode.

D700 with Tamron 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 24mm and f/6,3. Flash at 60 degrees and in A mode.

With the Metz, I mostly prefer A mode to TTL. It tends to overexpose quite a bit that way (up to one stop), but that's easy to fix in post, and the results are very consistent.