The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPhone apps, your favorites!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, who is using which for what?

PhotoCalc: I'll start by saying thanks to Joseph Ramos for turning me on to this nifty little 99 cent app that has sunrise data and a host of other photo tools.

PCalc lite: Freeware that gives you a basic scientific calculator. Pay for the full one and you get more functionality, RPN options, etc.

TiltMeter Standard: Another piece of freeware that turns your iPhone into a level and clineometer, and is adjustable for zero, a benefit if you use an optional case for it.

D

ddk

Trapster- Information on police/red light cameras, radar traps and where they normally hide with distance warning based on your location. Great app to go with your radar detector.

iWant- You click on an icon, food, bank, supermarket, pharmacy, schoot, atm, gas station, etc., etc., and it will tell you what's around with distances and routing, it even lists the movies that are being shown within your preset distance.

Around Me- Similar to above but different interface, also great.

Free Memory- Application for freeing up unused memory from other apps hording them. You'll be surprised how much memory can free'd up.

simonclivehughes

Interesting thread... where to start (I've got 6 screens worth at this point).

WeatherEye and AccuWeather
Traffic CA (Canadian traffic cams)
WriteRoom for notes
i41CXp calculator
Converter
HanDBase database program
Spreadsheet
OmniFocus & Things & TapToDo for to dos
Camera Bag & PhotoCalc & Light for photography
Band, SynthPond, BeatMaker, FourTrack Noise.io Pro, DigiDrummer & Ocarina for music
Ultralingua dictionary
Enigmo & Labyrinth & Trism for gaming
Flight Update

Plus quite a few others. Just love the iPhone!

Cheers,

jonoslack

I'm with Quino and Simon:
Omni Focus - together with the desktop App - we're using it across 3 iphones and 7 computers - it's great.

Otherwise Bloom (Brian Eno).

jlm

Workshop Member
the one that amazes me is shazam...how the hell do they do it? and what a marketing tool!

Terry

Shazam has definitely gotten me to buy music that I like. I think it works the same way iTunes works when you put in a CD. No two CDs are exactly the same length and I think a couple of other characteristics and the database has the info. With digital music I guess it is just digitizing what it hears and matches that up with the database. It has been around from before the iPhone on regular phones but there was a fee to get the titles.

Others that I use a lot are:
News
Bloomberg, NYT, ABC

Games
Trism, Wurddle, Scrabble

Restaurants
zagats, urban spoon, open table

Movies
Flixter

Photo
Photocalc

Business calculator
12c lite

Other
White Pages
Google app (voice detection - can be brilliant or spectacularly wrong)

Amin

I resisted for a long time because I like Verizon and have had horrible experiences with AT&T. This morning, I went and got my iPhone. So far the only app I've installed is Pandora. Amazing to have unlimited, free, commercial free streaming music!

D

DougDolde

Radio Paradise has an app. It's my fave internet radio station.

simonclivehughes

I've been trying to figure out how to get this ringtone on mine. Anyone have a clue?

http://www.arizonaconnect.net/evil_ring.mp3
OK, here's how you do it (on a Mac):

1. Drag the MP3 file onto the Mac and double click to open it in iTunes.
2. Right click on the new "tune" and "Create ACC version"
3. Drag the new version from iTunes to the desktop
4. Delete the MP3 and newly created ACC versions from iTunes
5. Change the extension of the desktop file from "m4p" to "m4r"
6. Drag the file back into iTunes and drop on the Library Ringtones (upper left of application.
7. Sync iPhone and there it is!

Ciao,

stephengilbert

Simon,

As they say on TV game shows, "great answer." I just hope no one punches Doug when they hear that awful "ring tone."

(Tasteful fellow that I am, I use the "Old Telephone" option in the iPhone.)