The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Congratulations you American People

Status
Not open for further replies.

monza

These things never go anywhere. :) One of the best things about this forum, is the lack of trolling/flaming and heated arguments...this is the slippery slope. :)

That being said, when Gitmo closes should we send them all to Alaska? :) Heh heh.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
These things never go anywhere. :) One of the best things about this forum, is the lack of trolling/flaming and heated arguments...this is the slippery slope. :)

That being said, when Gitmo closes should we send them all to Alaska? :) Heh heh.
Thats why I don't go over to the LUF much anymore..always insults and egos

insults and egos...good name for a band!

bensonga

As long as we all keep a sense of humor and don't make it or take it personally, I'm not one who thinks politics should be off limits in a section of the forum for Other Discussions/Sunset Bar. Now if someone started this thread in the Medium Format Digital section.....heck no! :p

Only if Sarah can make room in her place for them. Of course, being forced to listen to Sarah spouting off 24/7 might be considered defacto proof of torture under the UN conventions. :ROTFL:

Actually, our governor refuses to live in the Governor's mansion in Juneau (the state capital) so I suppose they might as well send the Gitmo detainees there. No sense having the mansion sit empty....and living in Juneau during the winter (rain/grey/no sun) is definitely no picnic!

Sarah prefers to charge the Alaska tax payers per diem expenses for living in her own house out there in Wasilla. She's got balls (pardon the expression), that's for sure! :salute:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Ben Rubinstein

I agree to just stopping this, lots of people have lots of strong opinions but this has nothing to do with photography and is only serving to put a sour note in the friendliest photography forum on the internet. I know OPF just killed their equivelent of our Sunset Bar due to politics driving a serious wedge in their community, can we go back to talking about alcohol please? :D

Just came back from shooting a wedding (it's 2am, I have a flight at 8 and really should go for a shower!) of people from a very different section of my own religion with a very different outlook on life, different languages and very different politics. But it was extremely pleasant, really nice people to work with, a couple whose happy smiles lit up their faces, good fun in fact and I drove away from an exhausting wedding, in pain, but with a smile on my face.

Lets interact on non controversial subjects, be happy, appreciate each others time and help donated to the forum and leave the politics for the pub and those who have the patience for arguing about things which leave a bad taste in the mouth. Personally I'd prefer not to get wound up myself so don't volunteer to be annoyed...

Sorry if this looks bad, my screen here is awful and uncalibrated and I'm very tired. Todays bride has 15 siblings (not unusual for chassidic families) and the youngest is down syndrome. But look at that smile of a happy though severely disabled baby as she looked round from playing with her older sister. Whenever I feel down I'm going to remember this picture, a happy smile to put me back into perspective....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks, we'll keep it open and running as long as it stays friendly and respectful -- the minute it starts to go sideways, we will shut it down. So far, I think we're doing fine, let's just keep it that way :)

Oh, and FWIW, I think the respectful tenor of this thread speaks volumes about the class of our membership -- my compliments!

:thumbs:

bensonga

I agree to just stopping this, lots of people have lots of strong opinions but this has nothing to do with photography and is only serving to put a sour note in the friendliest photography forum on the internet. I know OPF just killed their equivelent of our Sunset Bar due to politics driving a serious wedge in their community, can we go back to talking about alcohol please? :D
You know, I'm certainly happy to stop this discussion, but it's unfortunate if we can't have them in this section of the forum, without people getting bad feelings which are carried over into other, photography related sections of the forum. I have many, many conservative friends and co-workers (after all, I live in Alaska and work for a big OIL company) and we disagree on many political topics, but we manage to discuss these issues and still be friends and work together. In fact, living here in Alaska (a RED state if there ever was one), I'd guess that ~75% of my friends would agree with the more conservative views expressed here.

But then.....I grew up in a family that talked and sometimes argued politics all the time, then I got a degree in Philosophy where all we EVER did was argue points back and forth....I guess it just comes naturally to me. :bugeyes:

I may vigorously disagree with another person's views....but if you ever hear me question their patriotism....just slap me upside the head, it means I've just OD'd on Fox News and Sean Hannity (just kidding, of course!).

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Amin

Folks, we'll keep it open and running as long as it stays friendly and respectful -- the minute it starts to go sideways, we will shut it down. So far, I think we're doing fine, let's just keep it that way :)
I think my ability to respond appropriately to points raised in this thread has come to an end, so I'll take my leave before I let myself go sideways ;).

monza

Speaking of Sideways, how about some Pinot? :)

Back to Gitmo, the problem with closing it...where do you put those friendly terrorists? I certainly don't want them in Alaska, or Texas, or anywhere in the US for that matter. Let's not bring them into our court system either.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Speaking of Sideways, how about some Pinot? :)

Back to Gitmo, the problem with closing it...where do you put those friendly terrorists? I certainly don't want them in Alaska, or Texas, or anywhere in the US for that matter. Let's not bring them into our court system either.
If you send them to Texas I think Los Rinches can deal with them.

But it looks like they are going to the land of cows, chocolate and an assault rifle in every home.

"Switzerland is ready to consider taking in detainees from the U.S. prison for terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba "

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think my ability to respond appropriately to points raised in this thread has come to an end, so I'll take my leave before I let myself go sideways ;).
Amin that is great and if anyone feels the same than that is also great. Last thing anyone wants is hurt feelings around here and if you feel uncomfortable with a conversation than that is a great choice if one wants to make one. Myself i hate politics and religion stuff. Jack and i never talk about it mostly and i ignore my e-mail group when they get into it. Nothing wrong with making those kinds of decisions , no one really wins in most of these but it is fun to see different sides of the coin. As Jack said this speaks volumes of our members that want a peaceful conversation on topics that are really tough to talk about sometimes. Seriously if I was a admin. on a political forum or religious one. I think i would pull my hair out in about 3 minutes or worse. LOL

What I see is we all have many opinions on this subject but I do see the common thread as well. At the end of the day no matter what stance you may have we all have our fingers crossed this will work out. That i am sure all of us can agree on. I admit enjoying seeing some history being made and maybe or at least hopefully some more walls being torn down. I am 52 and grew up in New Jersey and i DO remember the riots and the conflicts of the American people and looking back on it, not a pretty sight. So if this helps at all than I think a good thing on that note . As a president and leader of this country , love him or hate him the bottom line is we all want it to work out no matter what our views. This reminds me in photo terms of the M8 on the love and hate that camera brings on and some of the issues that hit it. Reality is not much difference in views per say just different wording but still strong views on it. With that I will also leave the conversation only because it is not my thing, but please continue as you see fit as the members here expect to be treated. :angel:

N

nei1

There is a strong flow of opinion here that the same group of right wing terrorists that despached king and kennedy will also see off obama before the year is out.Lets hope the good will of the world is enough to keep him safe and that he and his goverment are strong enough to make the necessary changes.

bensonga

Thank you Jack and Guy for all you do to make this forum a place we want to be....mostly for camera/photography stuff, but now and then, for the big stuff too. Ok, ok...photography is big stuff also. :)

In my 55 years, I've met alot of folks I disagree with and even a few I agree with. Surprisingly enough, I've become close friends with people on both ends of the political and religious spectrums. Go figure. So I have alot of experience arguing with friends about a wide variety of topics and still being friends. It does help to do this over a glass of Pinot (there's that Sideways angle again!).

One thing I try to remember, always, is that for me, the Internet is no excuse for rudeness or saying anything I wouldn't say to a friend or perfect stranger, face to face. That's why personally, I don't like or buy into the anonymity of the Web....my name is Gary Benson and I live in Eagle River, Alaska. If you want to have a conversation or discussion on the phone, I'll happily send you an e-mail with my phone number. I'll even pick up the tab for the long distance phone charges. Although I don't get down to the "Lower 48 states" nearly as often as I'd like, if I'm in your neighborhood (or you're in mine) someday....I'd be just as happy to discuss these issues with you face to face over a coffee, glass of wine or beer (your choice, I'll do either)....after which, I would hope we can go out and do some real photography, admire each others equipment or view each others work.

I'm not about to minimize the seriousness of these issues or our disagreements about them. These issues are consequential for us, as American citizens, but even more so for those who have been caught up in this "war on terror", rightly or wrongly.

These issues will not go away, even after this thread has faded away into Internet oblivion. Speaking for myself, I only hope that those who have made the decisions to take America in the direction it has gone for the past eight years will someday be judged for their actions, if not here on earth....well, then someplace else. If they have done nothing wrong, they have nothing to fear. Personally, I would not want to be in their shoes.

In the meantime....I'm really, really happy that Barack Obama is the new president of this United States of America. And like all of you, I'm hoping for the best possible outcomes over the next four years, both here at home and across this increasingly small and interconnected world.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska.....yes, there really is such a place.

jonoslack

ahem...now you see why in polite company one never discusses politics or religion.
Yes . . . I'm sorry, it's my fault, I should never have started it!:(

One thing I can say, is that Obama's election has been thoroughly welcomed by every European I've spoken to, and I guess that enthusiasm was what made me start the post. Still

you guys - please stop arguing - you will NEVER agree with each other!

Status
Not open for further replies.