The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lackluster Photokina?

fotografz

Is it just me, or a lot of folks disappointed by Photokina announcements?

I can't recall this weak of a PK. Seems like PKs of past had the forum all a twitter.

Maybe our expectations are outrunning technology?

Meh, news from Leica. CMOS S but no boost in resolution, and they've uglified the M-E replacement for the type 006 (I suspect to suppress any design desire). A M camera with no LCD:loco: priced for the insane. A cosmetically enhanced silver 0.95 which is cool.

Hardly anything to talk about from Canon, who seems to need some newsy stuff. 1.6X cropped sensor camera that is already drawing criticism from Canonphiles. Hmm.

A few overdue lenses for the Sony A7 system, but nothing to replace the A99. Meh.

Nikon … ?

No new Phase One DSLR camera … again.

Oddly, last PK's punching bag, Hasselblad, had some decent offerings for their followers, but no new versions of some aging optics like they did with the 50mm. No 80 meg back.

New lights from Broncolor, but no answer to Profoto's B1.

Not that I'm complaining … my funds are tight right now so I'm glad there isn't some gasified bauble that makes me drool unending dollars.

Your thoughts?

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's the new world order. The most interesting new products seem to come from Samsung (NX1) and Panasonix (LX100 and GM5). In a way, that makes sense. Those are the corporations with resources and increasing market shares. Mirrorless is what rangefinder was 60 years ago.

Tim

I noticed a lack of items.
It would seem that the companies do not run design and manufacture to Photokina's timetable. Fair enough too.

The LX100 and GM5 were the most interesting to me, with the Sony lenses giving much happiness.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Many companies also simply do not put much faith in PK anymore and release product at all times of the year. Leica is big on PK because its in Germany. But most companies are not like they used to be. Some are even absent from doing anything.

Godfrey

Whether this year's show was lackluster or not ... I don't know. I've got way more equipment than I have time to enjoy using and, while there are a couple of goodies that pique my interest, it's mostly an academic interest rather than any intent to actually buy something.

The LX100/D-Lux are the most interesting of the new camera hits this year.

I'd love a Leica M Edition 60 too, but with the standard black (or black paint) finish as a regular production piece rather than a high-priced special. If I decide to keep on with my Leica RF cameras and want to upgrade, I'll likely sell the M9 and buy the M-P (Type 240), or even be content with the standard M.

The already quite well respected Panasonic GH4 is more interesting to me than most other stuff at the show and might be a nice complement to my Oly E-M1, and I'm already quite happy with the Sony A7.

Perhaps I'm jaded. I like what I have already and wish I had the time to really put it to use rather than dabbling with it occasionally, which is all the time I have lately.

And now I have to make my serious purchase: I'm out of ink for the printer. And could use some more Hahnemühle Bamboo paper too.

G

Terry

LX100 is what I was looking for but agree that there weren't any other oh wow surprises.

With the LX100 I prefer the styling of the D-lux better but I'm having a tough time on the math moving from $899 to $1195 and then for a grip or half case you will need to avoid dropping the d-lux....

Godfrey

LX100 is what I was looking for but agree that there weren't any other oh wow surprises.

With the LX100 I prefer the styling of the D-lux better but I'm having a tough time on the math moving from $899 to $1195 and then for a grip or half case you will need to avoid dropping the d-lux....
Actually, using a good half-case with the D-Lux is one of the reasons I'd prefer it. I just like how a half-case works in my hands. :)

G

J

JohnW

I would have loved to see something GR or GXR-like from Ricoh. Not a peep from them. And an X-Pro2 would have been nice. Makes you realize how much disappointment is tied to expectation. The Internet, rumors, and short life-cycles have us constantly on edge. Glad it's over. Let's all go make pictures with the good stuff we have.

John

rmueller

I agree it has been a lame photokina so far in terms of new tech and product
announcements. I was thinking to give my ticket someone else but have decided
to go there on Saturday. Like to check the H5D50c and life view.
Honestly, i'm happy with my current cameras and not really after something this
time. I was hoping for a new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera after they gave
considerable discounts last month. But well, more of a toy to play with than real
world requirement. Anyway, will report here if I find something interesting.
Regards,
Ralf

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Photokina no longer is “the place and time for major introductions “ . So thats certainly part of it . But really the market opportunities don t look so great for most companies …Leica included . Then factor in that we have received some really great cameras over the past few years . Its sure disappointing but not all that surprising .

k-hawinkler

Photokina no longer is “the place and time for major introductions “ . So thats certainly part of it . But really the market opportunities don t look so great for most companies …Leica included . Then factor in that we have received some really great cameras over the past few years . Its sure disappointing but not all that surprising .

I am waiting for an A7R like camera without shutter shock but with 5-axis IBIS.
That would get me really excited. :clap: