The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Its about the lenses

Tim

When choosing a system camera, we look hard at the sensor. Naturally enough that is a big factor on the final image IQ.

I recently bought an A7 and while I have options for adapted lenses its the system lenses that left me wondering if I would be better off with a Fuji XT-1.

The reason: is its about the lenses. I want a compact travel system.
The Fuji 28-85 equivalent offers f2.8 at the wide end and is substantially smaller, than the Sony f4. The Fuji system has a 21mm equivalent prime that was one reason I left the m4/3 system. Add the Fuji's dial driven control deck and I feel the loss of "full frame" to APS-C is worth it. From the images I have seen the Fuji will be enough res/detail for me anyway.

I am in no way trying to be a fan boy for any system, rather just analyse what will work well.

I have ageing eyes and even now feel I should move to a DSLR rather that EVF mirrorless, but size and weight are very much a driving factor for me.

Am I crazy to move "down"?
As I say, "its about the lenses"

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree fully. When I'm buying an E-M1 within a couple of months, it's because it's the only current camera that will AF properly with my favourite zoom lens, the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5. It's a question of figuring out what lenses are the most important for each one of us. It makes more sense to have two or three really great lenses than a suitcase or two of glass that is hardly being used.

Now, if I could only learn to live by that rule :lecture: :ROTFL:

Shashin

The best system is the one you use. Your photographs are judged by their beauty and power, not technical specifications.

turtle

Very true*, but its equally true that sometimes particular equipment can make it easier to produce the images with the 'beauty and power' you envisage. The mistake people make is in the extent of the improvement they anticipate.

And yes, Sony needs a spanking for not releasing a prime wider than 28mm. Still. The Fuji, conversely, is already has a nicely rounded lens line up. For me, the major off-put was the Xtrans sensor. I can't stand how that thing looks with grass and some high frequency natural detail, even with Iridium or C1.

* I just got a second and a third place (category level) in the IPAs for a series of images shot through a plane window with a cell phone on a particular flight. I did not have a proper camera with me, but have since expanded the body of work into something much larger and more impressive using regular gear. The fact that the work began with a few fuzzy megapixels and will end with the A7R, interestingly, also works beautifully. So the moral of the story is... make what you have work for ya!

The best system is the one you use. Your photographs are judged by their beauty and power, not technical specifications.

Tim

Thank you all for the responses, I feel my thinking is correct.
As with many of us, some of my equipment choices have worked, other less so.

Shashin you said it very eloquently.

All that is left to do to find out is give each option a try.

Godfrey

When choosing a system camera, we look hard at the sensor. Naturally enough that is a big factor on the final image IQ.

I recently bought an A7 and while I have options for adapted lenses its the system lenses that left me wondering if I would be better off with a Fuji XT-1.

The reason: is its about the lenses. I want a compact travel system.
The Fuji 28-85 equivalent offers f2.8 at the wide end and is substantially smaller, than the Sony f4. The Fuji system has a 21mm equivalent prime that was one reason I left the m4/3 system. Add the Fuji's dial driven control deck and I feel the loss of "full frame" to APS-C is worth it. From the images I have seen the Fuji will be enough res/detail for me anyway.

I am in no way trying to be a fan boy for any system, rather just analyse what will work well.

I have ageing eyes and even now feel I should move to a DSLR rather that EVF mirrorless, but size and weight are very much a driving factor for me.

Am I crazy to move "down"?
As I say, "its about the lenses"
Yes, it's about the lenses.

I bought the A7 primarily to use with my Leica R lenses. I carried it and my usual three lens kit (24, 50, 90) to Hawaii on my recent vacation trip. It did a lovely job.

But I would have been MUCH more sensible to carry the Olympus E-M1 with a similar trio of three lenses (14, 25, 45) ... I'd have been able to add 75 and 10.5 lenses and still have been carrying two pounds less weight.

It was a vacation trip, not a photo expedition or job. I should have listened to myself... ;-)

Lenses of comparable speed and field of view designed for smaller formats are typically smaller and lighter. The difference in weight between the bodies (E-M1, A7, XT-1) is pretty trivial. So if you're looking for a lighter weight and more compact system, yes, the Fuji is a better match to your desires than the Sony. Any of these systems will produce top notch results.

Shashin said it just right:
G

rayyan

True, it's about lenses. But it is also about what body wears those lenses.
While tech don't make a powerful image, often I have found that a camera that I just love to hold and carry gives me that bit of ' inspiration ' to go looking to make images.

Some cameras I just like to use. And using it again and again, I sometimes get lucky with an image.

Good luck.

Godfrey

Some cameras I just like to use. And using it again and again, I sometimes get lucky with an image...
I do agree with you also, rayyan. I love what comes out of the A7: it's the lenses I use on it and its sensor, but darn it's a clunky little lump. :)

Tim

often I have found that a camera that I just love to hold and carry gives me that bit of ' inspiration ' to go looking to make images.

Some cameras I just like to use.
Rayyan, you have made me make a confession here. One rather "pathetic" reason I was not enamored with the A7 is from the moment I picked it up it seemed a bit cheaper and more flimsy than say the OMD. Build is a bit of a disappointment for me. The sensor is another thing though. I'm loving the samples I see from the A7 sometimes moreso than the A7r in some circumstances. And even the A7s.

That top control deck of the XT1 looks like something I could meld with.