The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica X Flap

Godfrey

So many words spilt over the fact that the Leica X typ 113 lens has a programmed-in aperture coupling to limit the maximum aperture from 4' down to minimum focus distance. It would be funnier if it wasn't so tiring.

I was reading another article on the Leica M Edition 60 ... The terrorists have not won | The Machine Planet ... and thought again about the M Edition 60 which I was right on the verge of putting in a pre-order for ...

I considered emptying my bank account and buying an M Edition 60—I like the concept. Unfortunately, I'm not wealthy enough to spend that much money out of hand and reason took hold of me.

I asked myself, "What am I really after?" The answer is the same answer that has pushed the buttons on several other camera purchases since 2011:

- simplicity in operation and features
- about the size of a Leica M4/M4-2
- a fast lens of excellent quality with a 35mm FoV
- a sensor capable of exploiting that lens thoroughly

What fell out of thinking about this was the Leica X2 I already had, so I pulled it out and spent three weeks shooting with it. Reveling in its simplicity and light weight, excellent image quality, etc. But also being annoyed again at the two things about it I didn't like before and still don't like now: the retractable lens and the poor manual focus controls.

And then I looked at the Leica X type 113. I bought one. I've been shooting with it since last Friday. It is indeed exactly what I was wanting the M Edition 60 kit for, at a small fraction of the cost.
Simplicity, excellent imaging, ease of learning and use. One good camera with one good lens. Not perfect, but good enough.

Satori.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If there was any way I could afford the Edition 60, I would buy one. The article you link to lists a number of reasons why that is not a good idea. For one who used an OM-1 for 30 years... I couldn't care less.

Some time in the future hopefully, someone will have the guts to make a camera as simple as that and sell it for a realistic price. It would of course be even more fun to use this $20,000 decoration for what it's designed to do, until it looks like any of the other cameras that I've abused to pieces, but again; it's a lot of monies.

When discussions about simplicity in cameras appear, there are always some who claim that "You don't need to use all the features, and if you need them, they are there for you.". But it isn't about that. It's about peace of mind, knowing that when I close the door behind me, I have 36 exposures available, or whatever a memory card rooms, a 50mm lens with aperture and focus rings, an exposure dial and a shutter release.

Of the digital cameras that I own, the Panasonic L1 is the one that comes closest. Unfortunately, the viewfinder sucks for manual focusing, but there's always AF, with the choice of three focus points, of which one is useable :)

But an OM-2 with a 50mm is what sits next to the fridge in my kitchen, always loaded with film, ready to go.

rayyan

I have the Fuji X100s for that.:D

p.s. with a dead silent shutter too.

Simplicity, excellent imaging, ease of learning and use. One good camera with one good lens. Not perfect, but good enough.

Satori.

G

Tim

Godfrey,

I never understood the angst against the Leica X series on the Leica Forum (not the GetDPI one) when the X1 was released - it was one of the reasons I left there. So many buyers had bought a M8 with 28mm lens and nothing more, yet the X1 as a low cost alternative to the M8 sans the RF was just bagged for its IQ and anything else they could think of??

For simplicity of traditional use it does not get a whole lot better than a X camera IMO.
The X1/X2 etc are one of the premier walk about cameras IMVHO.
The only thing vaguely close in it straight forward OS is the DP Merrills.

And the price... Get a Leica lens with sensor for less than most M lenses.

Tim