The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Road to Moab

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi everyone we are in Monument Valley heading home BUT i thought I would post some of the keepers from everyone there. No names and they will be posting threads in other forums but this is pretty darn cool. Time to go get a cup of coffee or your favorite beverage and sit back and enjoy the show.

Guy Mancuso

31-35 This is the last grouping and when everyone gets home and has a chance to process more we will see them posted in all the forums. Still to come is Monument Valley. Please go ahead and make comments and such. I will say Jack and I are very impressed how well everyone did and there are some killer images here. Huge round of applause to our workshop members on this trip. Also special thanks to Doug Peterson from Capture Integration for the C1 lessons and all the Phase , Cambo demo gear. Also special thanks to Leica for sending me a nice demo kit to share. And let's not forget Mike Hatam for the Lightroom training. Looking forward to getting home to watch the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl and also see my lovely family. Lizards, Dogs, Kids and wife.:thumbs:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bravo All!!!

Bob - nice shot of the river, I was thinking about that area this morning.

Mike - the Turret Arch composition is great, nice to see it from this perspective as well.

#6 of Balanced Rock is fantastic and I like the feel of #30.

Congratulations to all the participants and to Guy and Jack as well.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,
The river shot is really nice. I regret not shooting down along there last year.

LOVE the new avatar. Very Hugh Heffner/Thurson Howell (gilligan's island). Nice cropping with the hand.
Thanks Terry,
The Avitar was suggested by Guy since he didn't like my old one.
I think it is more Gilligan's Island than Playboy Mansion :ROTFL:
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bravo All!!!

Bob - nice shot of the river, I was thinking about that area this morning.

Mike - the Turret Arch composition is great, nice to see it from this perspective as well.

#6 of Balanced Rock is fantastic and I like the feel of #30.

Congratulations to all the participants and to Guy and Jack as well.
Thanks, Charlie
That shot was almost directly into the sun and I was worried about flare.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for loading those up Guy --- lots of great images made for sure!

As Guy said, we're in Monument Valley now, and I just finished a 30 minute exposure with the Phase. The shadows are made by the less than quarter moon, and it and the starlight are the only light for the landscape itself. 30 minutes f5.6, ISO 100:

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

I shot a One hour one further to the right of Jack and in the process of a second one off my balcony. Will post mine in the morning. Jack that is killer bud.

Terry

Jack,
That looks awesome and now I am really jealous. I've never been to Monument Valley and that is the part of the trip I most wanted to do!

Just curious on a long exposure like that does the Phase do a dark frame subtraction? Is it for the full 30 minutes?

Guy Mancuso

Yes 30 minutes for the exposure and thirty minutes for the dark frame. Took me 2 hours to shoot the next shot. Killing me . LOL

But it is the only MF back that can go one full hour. Pretty amazing

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
That looks awesome and now I am really jealous. I've never been to Monument Valley and that is the part of the trip I most wanted to do!

Just curious on a long exposure like that does the Phase do a dark frame subtraction? Is it for the full 30 minutes?
Thanks Terry, and you would have loved this trip! FWIW, we are talking about doing a similar trip next year, but eliminating Sedona, keeping stops in Canyon De Chelley and Monument Valley, but then substituting the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and adding a day shoot at Upper Antelope slot canyon instead of Moab.

Anyway, yes the P45+ does a black frame, so the 30 minute exposure takes a full hour to complete; a one hour exposure takes two hours to complete.

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Terry, and you would have loved this trip! FWIW, we are talking about doing a similar trip next year, but eliminating Sedona, keeping stops in Canyon De Chelley and Monument Valley, but then substituting the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and adding a day shoot at Upper Antelope slot canyon instead of Moab.
OK we have a whole year to fix the banks, the markets and the world and then maybe I will be able to take a week off! That itinerary sounds awesome.

Guy Mancuso

Okay kids this just about blew up my laptop. This is a ten shot stitch Pano of the North Window at Monument Valley. Shot with a 150mm Mamiya with my Phase one P25 back. 800 meg 16 bit file