The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Road to Moab

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
OMG - I so need to go there. How long did it take you to drive back to Phoenix? I'm thinking drive up on Saturday AM. Get there for sunset. Then do sunrise and drive back to Phoenix on Sunday.
Hi Terry:

It's about 5 hours of easy driving with a few short stops :)

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was up ALL NIGHT shooting. Besides the balcony was perfect. OH and after 16 hours a day for 7 days I was a little tired. It's called WORK Robert:D:D:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Indeed! Most of you do not realize how hard Guy and I work on these workshops. We usually start the day an hour before sunrise with a drive to our AM shooting location, then back to town for a quick breakfast, then to our rooms for about an hour of break, then to our classroom to prepare for the day's lesson, then as soon as the lesson is over we usually head out for our evening shoot, which then usually wraps up about a half hour after sunset. Then we drive back to town for a group dinner where we all get to unwind a bit, then to bed at around 10 PM if we're lucky and if we can sleep. Then back up an hour before we need to leave for the next sunrise to start it all over again... Truth is, we get beat up after about 4 days of that routine, but we love it!

PS: And a little secret -- our workshop participants are simply the greatest folks to hang with anyway, which makes the hard work all the more rewarding for us!

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

That reminds me I need my nap. LOL

I slept from 8 last night when I got home to 5 am and still not enough. But i would hit the road again in a minute if there was another workshop tomorrow. I absolutely love doing them.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe next time, we should, mid afternoon, have cookies and milk, then lay our heads down on the table for half an hour. :ROTFL:
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
But instead of milk and cookies we might do bar mix and adult beverages :D

Gary P

Guys,

I just went down through this thread and have tears in my eyes. Beautiful and stunning images. You must be having a great time! Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful images!

Gary P

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
But instead of milk and cookies we might do bar mix and adult beverages :D
You tried that one already - LOL which if I remember correctly gave rise to a few choice comments about how guy had his preferences set on the teaching workstation!!! :):)
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy and Jack are two of the kindest and most conscientious teachers I have worked with. They put so much time and energy into the workshops I attended, they really extend themselves to the limit. :clap::clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nei1

Am very impressed,today Im going to buy a large(very)piggybank:thumbup:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My version of this shot taken after the light had failed but enhanced with a bit of dodging. This is a Helicon focus processed image but with only two images
View attachment 11624
-bob

dhsimmonds

Hey Guy and Jack

Just to think that these are web res. images! I bet the full size Tiff's have just fantastic detail. I am blue with envy (would have been green but it's snowing here!). We came over to the area around Moab and Sedona last September.....absolutely stunningly beautiful.

I must come over again soon...........perhaps to one of your workshops next time! Thanks for posting.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Dave and yes the high res. Tifs are just amazing . The Pano's are just flat out scary at 100 percent. Literally i can make prints the size of a bus with them. I may have to call the Dept of Transportation in Utah. Imagine seeing a bus going down the road with one of these baby's on the side. LOL

May have a few accidents of people staring at them. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Darnit Jack, stop teasing! :banghead:

There's nothing quite like a desert sunrise :)

Lars
And don't you and I both know it Lars! Really looking forward to the time you can join in on one of these!

Very Very Nice Jack!!!!!
Thank you Charlie -- you were definitely missed on this one too!

Guys,

I just went down through this thread and have tears in my eyes. Beautiful and stunning images. You must be having a great time! Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful images!

Gary P
Wow, thanks Gary! Indeed this was a superb workshop -- and special kudos to Guy for mapping out the added bonus stops in Winslow and Petrified Forest! Most of all, every member got several great images!

Wow.. I just went through this thread.. some great images.. Looked and sounded like fun.
Thanks Mark! It was a bunch of fun for sure, just jam packed with amazing photo ops, not the least of which was the last stop in Monument Valley!

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Looks nice Woody we got just enough snow that night before we shot these. Perfect timing for Canyon De Chelley. I wish Moab was a little more like last year with regards to snow. But of course they never had a storm like that in 20 years either. Sometimes it is just a matter of luck. Canyon De Chelley worked out nicely