The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Road to Moab

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Killing some time this weekend and going through some Moab trip images. Found this one from the Petrified Forest. The wind was blowing about 50 mph (seriously, that is not an exaggeration) and it was cold. But the clouds and light made for some fun landscapes. I am pretty sure you are seeing Steve Scates in green, Woody in red and Guy on the right in black -- they lend some scale to the size of the old stumps:

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
EXCELLENT Reynolds, I love the processing you did .I do like the vignetting applied too. Man you really picked up your game, love it.

1,3,4,5,6 and 8 are the winners

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Reynolds,
I love the fact that you have unique perspectives in your shots. Two and three are my favorites, but they are all beautiful.

simonclivehughes

Reynolds,

They are beautiful images, but I find the signature very distracting. It draws my eye immediately in every picture. Perhaps something a little more subtle on a matte?

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow Reynolds, awesome set! I agree with Guy, you really picked up your game --- :thumbs:

Re the signature, I agree with Simon. One suggestion is to make a clear layer over the image and apply the signature stamp to that, then dial down opacity. Another trick I use is dropper a color from the image you are stamping so it blends more rather than fights the image tones. Third trick it to apply layer properties :D

Cheers,

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Hi Reynolds,

I think #5 is close to being a masterpiece. The composition and high contrast black and white treatment really caught my eye and when after several viewings (chuckles at inside joke here) I finally noticed the subtle little road sign, in shade but lighted enough to blend into the background highlights, I thought wow, this is special. No arches, no canyons, no fire bathed rocks...it transcends Moab. And out of all of the beautiful submissions so far it is the only one to do so. IMVHO, of course.
I would love to have an enlargement hanging in my home.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
You folks are great for my love of this medium. It is my only creative "sport"!
"Masterpiece"...wow!! Have never seen that word in connection my work.

About the signature....Jack taught me that process and I was just beginning to like it. Now, Jack has to send me instructions for making a more subtle one in Lightroom!?!?!?

Thanks so much for the comments. Made my day....ah, week!!!

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another WOW!!! Reynolds. Fantastic series. What I enjoy most about this series is that your perspective really sheds new light on territory we are all familiar with either from having been in Moab or viewing the images on this thread (or the thread from last year). Very refreshing and nicely done.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Been going through my whole library to finally start on a new website. Spent all day and still have a ton more to work on but took a break when I got back to a Canyon De Chelley pano I did and thought of enhancing it some. Still playing but I kind of like this version. If I was not feeling sick i would have hung out longer but i did what I could.

Lars

Been going through my whole library to finally start on a new website. Spent all day and still have a ton more to work on but took a break when I got back to a Canyon De Chelley pano I did and thought of enhancing it some. Still playing but I kind of like this version. If I was not feeling sick i would have hung out longer but i did what I could.
Hi Guy, hope you are recovering. I hope you are open for some editing critique, it's a fantastic image but I like discussing editing.

I'd say the sky is really important in your pano, could even be the main subject and could use more definition perhaps?

Also, one thing I'm always careful about when I have a lit object (the canyon) and the light source (the sky) in the same image is to avoid the appearance that the lit object receives more light than the light source emits. OK, in shorter words, parts of the canyon are slightly too well lit.

One thing that's really useful, whether in the field or in post-processing, is to use a warm grad to get rid of some of the blue in the shaded foreground. I think this image could benefit from that too, the bushes along the creek have a blue tint, as do cliffs. When shooting 8x10 film at dawn or dusk I often sandwich an ND grad with an upside down warm grad.

My guess is that in this image I would start with getting the sky "right" (subjectively), and then match the light level and temperature in the canyon to appear natural in relation to the sky. Then finally perhaps lift the whole image to make the tonal range printable.

But that's just me, and my own taste. How did you approach it?