The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sebastiao Salgado; Genesis in NYC

jlm

Workshop Member
up until jan 11 at the International Center for Photography, 43rd and 6th ave

saw this today; an impressive mega-show, all large b/w prints, well over a hundred images i am sure.

a few comments:

he is a master at chiaroscuro, texture, line and composition; some truly amazing landscapes playing with abstraction and scale.

the printing is digital on Ilford.

for those of us used to the crisp detail, fineness of focus and exceptional resolution of medium format digital, you may be disappointed technically. grain is emphasized, many highly detailed images are not quite in sharp focus, contrast is maybe over emphasized, near/far compositions beg for a better depth of field usage, blah, blah, blah.

an exceptional image maker and an inspiring show

also opening (simultaneously) at Yancey Richardson in Chesea, NYC, 12/11-1-24, opening on 12/11

turtle

I saw it in London and thought it was excellent. When you remember the conditions many of the images were shot under and the chance events endemic to nature photography, its all the more remarkable. Personally, I thought the digital printing was superb, with only a couple of over-manipulated examples in the whole 200 shot (or so) show. His printing team have done a great job of merging the digital and film captured images, in the main.

I'm a particular fan of his abstract and semi-abstract nature images and there are some crackers in this exhibition...