The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Peter Lik 6.5 million $ Antelope canyon picture

Pearson

Congratulations to Peter Lik for his world record sale of "Phantom" black & white Antelope canyon picture.

Blog - Peter Lik Sets World Record

I've had the opportunity to photograph in the same location and am in awe of his success, given the content is available for any one to capture.

Well done Sir.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Kid: Oh, daddy... look at that cloud. It looks like a man!

Dad: I think you're right son. Let's snap a photo and show your mum when we get home. I'm sure she'll buy you an ice-cream.

--

I went to Peter Lik's website and watched a couple of the videos he's made about himself. Kind of makes me understand how totally out of rhythm with the current commercial world of art I am. Oh well... sometimes, I'm happy to be left behind :)

--

Edit:
Here's a valid comment from a more capable source: http://blog.photoshelter.com/2014/1...oto-in-the-world-or-the-best-marketing-stunt/

Last edited:

f8orbust

Didn't realize this was a private sale. You know what, I just sold a photograph for $10m, so I guess that makes me the world's most collectible photographer. And my cat sold one for $8m, so I guess that makes her the second. Who to? Private collectors of course! Details? No way, they're private. Better get on Wikipedia and bump PL down a couple of spots.

You do wonder how such a consummate businessman as Peter Lik, with his huge output, could ever become collectible in the sense that he's going to beat out the likes of Gursky, Cindy Sherman, Weston etc. There's just too much stuff out there. No wonder that every time I watch 'Pawn Stars' on TV they still have that Peter Lik photo hanging on the wall...

Would be nice to see one his 'masterworks' go to auction and see what the fine art market buying crowd really think it's worth (all Lik's sales over $1m have been to *ahem* private buyers).

Jim

P.S. Pearson - your first post, and it sends us to Peter Lik's gallery (not a news agency) - you're not Peter Lik are you? ;)

V

Vivek

P.S. Pearson - your first post, and it sends us to Peter Lik's gallery (not a news agency) - you're not Peter Lik are you? ;)
That is even more awesome (if that is the case), I would say! :thumbs:

bradhusick

I know many of you enjoy landscape photography but years ago I gave up doing it because in my view if you simply waited long enough in any particular spot for the right light or weather, you could capture an image nearly identical to the most famous landscape photos in the world. At that point I stopped doing landscapes.

This is purely a personal view and I do enjoy looking at beautiful landscape photos.

It's not true that if you wait long enough you can reproduce portraits, street, candid or formal. I love human faces.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
oh my god, now thousands more versions of antelope canyon will be deluging us
And a ton of us on this forum have pretty much the same image too. MARKETING and honestly as a working Pro not a bad lesson for me. Im sitting on great images that are not making me money. I slap myself for that.

V

Vivek

And a ton of us on this forum have pretty much the same image too. MARKETING and honestly as a working Pro not a bad lesson for me. Im sitting on great images that are not making me money. I slap myself for that.
Agree. I find it amazing that there are so many negative posts including even trashing a whole photography genre altogether.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I read some on another forum. Even accusing him of lying about the sale. Who cares the point being he is a marketing genius and makes a great living selling his work. That my friends is a lesson outside of being a shooter we can learn from, not denounce him for. Look every damn working pro sold there soul to make a living at being a photographer. We sold out our Art to do that, get used to its our job. There is nothing holy and molly out of that, we need to eat and support our families like anything else.

jlm

Workshop Member
my point was that we have seen on this forum alone many, many of almost the same Antelope canyon shot. same with Mesa Arch, Horseshoe Bend, etc.

to where there are even tripod holes to use in the "best" shooting locations.

there must be many who want to get that same shot, but doesn't it get over worked to the point of cliche?

Guy Mancuso

Agree John I know I don't want to copy others stuff. Why I mostly don't sell some of this stuff. Rather find other shots when I'm out there. This is why I stay away from photography books. I don't want others images sticking in my brain.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
my point was that we have seen on this forum alone many, many of almost the same Antelope canyon shot. same with Mesa Arch, Horseshoe Bend, etc.

to where there are even tripod holes to use in the "best" shooting locations.

there must be many who want to get that same shot, but doesn't it get over worked to the point of cliche?
I was in Monument Valley the other week and at Wind Arch there is literally an X etched into the rock where you stand to shoot the perfect shot of Wind Arch framed within the limbs of the silhouette tree.

I'm on the road for work at the moment otherwise I'd post a copy of the shoot and X mark :p

Pearson

Unfortunately I am not affiliated with Peter Lik.
Linked to Lik's site because it seems to be the source for all others, and quite amusing when read from the hater point of view.
I've been on a Death Valley workshop with Guy, and a Monument Valley workshop with Jack.
Been a lurker over here ever since.
Had to Join up and get the community's view on this.

Guy Mancuso

Here is how I look at this. I go out with either myself or on our workshops and hold nothing back to those folks. There with me and I want to help, teach and share like I do here on the forum. That's my call and I love doing it. But in a world of competition as a working Pro or selling your Art these things like exact locations should be held close to your vest as this is your source of income. All these folks are doing selling a app like that is just cheapening the landscape industry to make money. Okay I get that but in the process great stock images that many of us enjoyed selling are going for free or or worse 25 bucks a image. It's not good for the industry. I have to think industry at large because it's my market. Hobbyists do not but most of the good hobbyists do care very much about the industry and thank you for that. It's like the iPhone is killing it bad enough do we really need to tell people where to stand and completely avoid teaching them how to be creative. It galls me to death as a instructor because that's what I do on workshops is teach people to learn how to see on there own, be creative and go home with something unique. Frankly Rodney is doing a huge deservice to the industry and shame on him doing it for a buck. Most Pros take far more pride in there work over money. So if I sound negative your right and I would tell him to his face, I don't need a keyboard to hide behind.

Guy Mancuso

Here is the question one has to ask. Is that even the right spot to begin with. Art is Art and a different composition or angle could even be better regardless of how many images or cost have been sold. We have our own eyes to see and what feels best to us.

I know I'm being a little rough here but as soon as you give up doing things on your own or without guidance on site and even if you agree or disagree you don't want to give up your vision. You never learn from copying. Period