The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

13 years ago ...

Godfrey

With my first "real" digital camera, I went to the Manx GP races on the Isle of Man ...

Sony Cybershot DSC-F707
ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/200

It seemed to do a good enough job. :)

G

bensonga

Excellent photo Godfrey! I am planning my first trip to the Isle of Man in 2015 for the Classic TT and the Festival of Motorcycling. I hope I can get at least one photo as good as this one.

Gary

Godfrey

Excellent photo Godfrey! I am planning my first trip to the Isle of Man in 2015 for the Classic TT and the Festival of Motorcycling. I hope I can get at least one photo as good as this one.
Enjoy the trip! The IoM is a wonderful place to spend time.

TT time is much busier than Manx GP time; I was only there for the TT once, in 2005. Days are much longer .. You have morning light from about 4:30 am and evening light up to around 10:00 pm. The Island is also much more crowded with visitors for the TT; shooting in the more touristy areas gets a bit crowded. It's great for people photos, however.

Study the map of the course and watch a couple of videos of the circuit to try to get a handle on sight lines and where to shoot from. For any given practice or race event, you'll tend to find one area and stay in it because access to other points on the track with the main road closed becomes tricky. At most you can get to two/three spots in the course of an event if you're tracking one or two riders for your photographs.

My favorite spots to shoot the racing have been in Ramsey at Parliament Square, Ballaugh at the bridge, Sulby, Sulby Bridge, Glen Helen, and Creg-ny-Baa. There are many other locations, but most pretty much mean locking yourself there for the duration of the event.

G

bensonga

Thanks for the tips re viewing locations Godfrey. I won't be there for the Isle of Man TT per se, which is at the end of May and first week of June. I'll be there at the end of August and first week of September for what they are now calling the Classic TT and the Festival of Motorcycling. I am more interested in seeing the older "classic" race bikes than the new ones. The crowds should be smaller too. We might get to see some of the Manx GP if we get there during the third week of August.

Classic TT - Isle of Man TT Official Website

Gary

Godfrey

Thanks for the tips re viewing locations Godfrey. I won't be there for the Isle of Man TT per se, which is at the end of May and first week of June. I'll be there at the end of August and first week of September for what they are now calling the Classic TT and the Festival of Motorcycling. I am more interested in seeing the older "classic" race bikes than the new ones. The crowds should be smaller too. We might get to see some of the Manx GP if we get there during the third week of August.

Classic TT - Isle of Man TT Official Website
Ah, name change mixup. I keep calling it by the older "Manx GP" name! :)

Late August/September is a much nicer time on the Isle weather-wise (IMO) and the later sunrise/earlier sunset makes for a more reasonable day of photography. The crowds are smaller during the race weeks, so you'll enjoy the island more.

Everything else still applies .. I do hope you catch the time for the racing. I might even be there too. '-)

G