The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blue Dress or Gold Dress (you decide)

jonoslack

I guess some of you have seen this - I think it's very interesting as it goes to show how we can interpret things we see completely differently.

In Case you haven't heard about it - here is the link to the original dress illusion:

Have a look at this first.

Some people see it as White and Gold and other people see it as Blue and Black - best if you can look at it with a group of people so that you get both sides.

. . . Do you see it as blue and black?

jonoslack

To make things more fun, Silas sees it as blue and black, and I see it as white and gold - quite differently in fact!

We had a long discussion about this in the pub yesterday and came to the conclusion that it was clearly a white balance issue.

It's been very well explained on this Flickr Blog:

It particularly interests me in that if we can see something simple so radically different in some circumstances, I would expect that in other circumstances less radical there will be many situations where mixed lighting will mean that we see things quite differently (even if we can't articulate the difference so clearly and thus fail to realise that it exists).

Food for thought when there are discussions about skin tone etc. etc.

Tim

This one has been in the news a lot here.

I saw it more as Blue and Brown or a dark gold at best.

Food for thought when there are discussions about skin tone etc. etc.
Absolutely. The whole perception thing is becoming an issue for me.
I have a photo buddy who seems highly critical of most images.

jonoslack

This one has been in the news a lot here.

I saw it more as Blue and Brown or a dark gold at best.
It's been in the news a lot here as well - but not with any sensible discussion connected with it - I think it has some important lessons to us as photographers - especially if we are tempted to make the mistake of using Auto White Balance.

Absolutely. The whole perception thing is becoming an issue for me.
I have a photo buddy who seems highly critical of most images.
Exactly - and when people go on about good skin tones / bad skin tones etc. etc. it's important to realise that they may be seeing things quite differently. . . . it also takes me back to my real dislike of Nikon Colours in evening light - to me it just looks like someone's splashed around a pot of yellow paint. The fact that others don't see it like that may not mean that they're colour blind :)

all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Did this last night again. I see it as more blue and gold. Basically I know the gold is black it looks like a WB overexposure issue that looks gold to me. Now that was on a iPhone last night. Today on a IPad the gold looks far more black.