The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

on dog lenses and the cat's meow (not)

cam

i've decided to do a different type of "fun images with" thread.

this was spurred by a recent thread on DPR that named my newly acquired 135/4.5 Hektor as possibly the worst Leica lens ever. hey, the link to Ken Rockwell's site explained a few questions i had about the lens, but to call it the worst ever? to his credit, he didn't actually say it was the worst (it had been implied in the thread) and said it would be wonderful for portraiture (which it is). maybe i got a superb specimen, but i also found it good for other uses that he dismissed.... anyways, it got my dander up and made me want to start this thread.

show me photos from your lenses that are supposedly wretched but have proven to be wonderful.

show me your photos from lenses that were supposed to be the best of the best but left you cold.

i realise that it's all subjective, but looking at glass is a subjective thing.

you might help others (me!) pick up a lens they wouldn't have given a look to before. and you might help somebody pass on a lens they think they're told they need but should maybe look a little closer at....

thank you!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to look for a image but the 90mm 2.8 Elmarit is not bad priced but has a nice look to it. Don't let that secret out. LOL

cam

Have to look for a image but the 90mm 2.8 Elmarit is not bad priced but has a nice look to it. Don't let that secret out. LOL
which version? that's part of the problem....

and how did you know i was sniffing out 90's? damn, you're good!

jonoslack

which version? that's part of the problem....

and how did you know i was sniffing out 90's? damn, you're good!
HI Cam
I have a 'latest' version, it's small and the quality is fine (I like the built in hood too). Sadly, it doesn't get much use since the 75 'cron arrived.

cam

pictures, both of you, please!

(and couldn't you have come up with something less expensive?) ;)