The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My 21 dilemma

Tim

Hi,

21mm (diagonal about 90 degree) is one of my key favorites. I prefer to use a prime if possible.
I have a 21mm (equiv) focal length at 16MPixel APS-C in the Ricoh GR with GW-3 lens. Its often used tripod mounted. I am only interested in a 18mm or 21mm (equiv) solution.

What would provide a noticeable increase in detail in prints staying with the smallest/lightest possible kit? Any brand. I've considered a Fuji XT-1/14mm mirrorless and m43 options but doubt there will be any major improvement over the Ricoh.

For the money cost and size/weight ratio I keep coming back to an A7r and maybe the CV 21mm f1.8 as this lens reviews well with the A7r.

I have considered -
1. A DSLR, while not desirable could be considered if small and light enough? Although a Nikon D600 is not really much cheaper than a A7r.
2. The new Sigma Quattro DP0 but its not exactly a small camera/lens. At its likely price it could be the best IQ/Price though.
3. The Ricoh GR with M-Module and CV 15mm. Still not likely to exceed the GR in detail.
4. Stitching some DP2 Merrill images works sometimes but not always an option, and its not 21mm

I am looking to increase resolution detail and hopefully some DR. Cost and weight/size are my main factors.

Is there a better or other suggestion than the A7r or DP0Q that will yield more resolution than the GR?
I hope this is not a ridiculous question.

Thanks

herrbarnack

Have you considered the Leica M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH? It is not lightning fast, but I can't imagine a better 21mm lens in terms of image quality.

V

Vivek

seems like all are as clueless as I am. A7r it must be then.
:ROTFL:

Tim, You boxed yourself with a 21mm and then conclude that it is the A7r? :confused:

Your personal all time favorite, the OM 40mm f/2, will do fine on that, btw. :)

4season

If you seek actual resolving power rather than simply a pleasing look, per DxOMark scores, this is your lens (preferably mounted on a D8xx or D6xx-series camera body:

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-20mm-F18-G-ED-mounted-on-Nikon-D800E__814

Sigma also looks to have an interesting 20/1.8, and the 20/2.8 Nikkor ought to be worth serious consideration too.

Sigma's DP0 looks like a very interesting beast, but I'm just not finding any hard data on it's performance.

There, now wasn't that easy?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 isn't anything near sharp across the frame at apertures less than f/4, and even then, the Zeiss ZF 21mm is sharper, so if detail and resolution is what you're after, that Nikkor is probably not your lens. Then there's colour and contrast. There are good reasons why legend come to life. That Zeiss is one of those. I ended up buying the it, but it's a beast, and may not suit your needs for that reason alone. I carry mine everywhere though, as part of a 4 lens kit (21/28/50/105mm). The Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 isn't bad, but at 36MP, it might not be the best choice.

The OM Zuiko 21mm f/3.5 is a rather nice lens too. I have one for sale if you're interested. It's the older silver nose version. Then there's Leica...

Tim

Thanks guys,

The DP0 isn't that small either. I stayed with the Merrills more because of size than IQ issues even.

Sigma's DP0 looks like a very interesting beast, but I'm just not finding any hard data on it's performance.

this is really hard, going beyond 16 Mpixel and increasing detail yield but staying away from Medium Format there are not a lot of options. Particularly if I want small and light.

Maybe herrbarnack is right, a 21mm asph with a M9 remains small. But then i have price to contend with.

Last edited: