The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Megapixel war, anyone?

Shashin

Opened to 16-bit, how many uncompressed 1.38 GB files can your hard drive hold? You will want to stitch to get really big files, natch. I wonder how your computer would handle five of them for a panorama?

The secret costs of digital photography and the relentless pursuit of pixels...

4season

And forget about hand-holding your camera lest your effective resolution drop to oh, about 24 megapixels, IS or no IS.

D&A

Will wrote---->>>"The secret costs of digital photography and the relentless pursuit of pixels>>>

and to think in the earliest days of digital we were fed advertising Iines such as:

"Digital, its free and fun, so shoot to your hearts content and leave film behind".

I guess this is the way to the promised land.

Dave (D&A)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It's not hard to work out the storage costs. Last time I did the calculation it came to 10 cents per saved capture. Storage gets cheaper over time just as file size increases, so I bet it's not too different today.

--Matt

Godfrey

I think I'll take a walk with my Polaroid 350 Land Camera.
250 MPixels is a bit too mind numbing to contemplate just at the moment. :-|

G